Dual seat VR solution

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

tomroger

Dual seat VR solution

Post by tomroger » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:40 am

Hi,

My soaring club is developing a sim-pit for training students. They are using a Pik dual seat as the basis for the sim, and are considering two alternatives:

1. Developing a real cockpit and using a 180 screen with 3 projectors.
2. Developing a sim-pit using VR technology

We now that alternative 1 is going to be a working solution, however this solution is quite expensive and requires some development to get all controls and instruments working.

Alternative 2 does not require the expensive 180 screen, nor the development of working instruments.

My question to this community is:
Is it possible to use Condor in VR with a instructor in the back seat and the student in the front seat? Is this a functionality supported in Condor? This means that we need to use two computers, one for each VR headset, and information being synced between those two computers. I.e. this is functionality that is existing in simulators like DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) in a multi-player environment. With this functionality it is even possible to teach students over the internet.

Appreciate your comments on this.

Re: Dual seat VR solution

Post by 6266 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:55 am

It could be possible in multiplayer mode with the trainer as a spectator. But the trainer can't control the plain, only look (and talk).

If you have two computers it's easy to test. I have no idea how VR works in spectator, never used VR or spectator myself

EDIT: If I understand right, you will use a fuselage of a real plane. So if the pedals and sticks are physically combined, the trainer controls of course the plane, and he can see in spectator, what the pilot does, and due to the combined stick and pedals it's the same what he do himself too (difficult to explain in english for me, but hope you got my point)
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

ryanto

Post by ryanto » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:27 am

What you can also do is mirror what the VR shows to a screen.

This way, the student has a full immersion, and in the back, the teacher can see and follow exactly what the student does.

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:54 pm

SPECTATE mode in VR works great. You are in the same place as the pilot and you see what he is doing. I've done training like this before. On the other hand, it lacks a few instruments that do not work like the compass, which is a shame for following a course. The SPECTATE function lacks the ability to use its stick and rudder to take control in flight. Hoping that the Condor 3 version brings this new function. This would give a new impetus in face-to-face or remotely for the training of new pilots.

n98Bk9-NT3

Post by n98Bk9-NT3 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:48 pm

You'd better to contact them. :D

"Instructor Support for Glider Sim Pro Glider Flight Simulation Cockpit"
https://www.justsoaring.com/blogs/news/ ... on-cockpit

cvvs

Post by cvvs » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:03 am

I had followed the news of this beautiful simpit system, unfortunately the new date of 2021.
If there had been something new in this area, I think he would have announced it widely in another news.........