The future... is it ever going to arrive?

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Fingers

The future... is it ever going to arrive?

Post by Fingers » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:07 pm

Dear Dev's

I am yet to experience a better complete gliding sim in VR than Condor2. Maybe here lays the problem? Not one of the competition are cutting the mustard in gliding terms or VR, yet.

We still have no support for newer VR units (G2 for eg) even just this would be a step forward.

I have seen it many many years ago in car racing sims where a small team have a stroke of genius and create something fantastic, way ahead of the time. To which is only taken forward by the devoted users creating mods out of sheer passion for the sim. I fear the same is for Condor, I understand that without money, nothing can be done, its a shame.

Patients is a virtue, they say, but throwing an occasional bone would keep this dog happy.

Yours desperatly wanting to use my G2

Steve

wickid

Re: The future... is it ever going to arrive?

Post by wickid » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:02 pm

Condor 3 has been announced last year. Some features have been announced in various places (this forum, facebook and youtube streams).

It has always been the policy of the Condor Team not to announce any timeline, included features, release dates ect. as development is done in their spare time next to full time jobs. They also do not want to make promises that they cannot keep. I'm sure work on Condor is ongoing. I myself am working on creating additional planes.

So you are probably just going to have to be patient and wait to see if your desired feature is included in Condor 3. Remember that there are only 2 main developers (OXO and Uros) and not a whole company working full time on the project.
PH-1504, KOE

Petrucci14

Post by Petrucci14 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:03 am

I feel that community is neglected. C3 was announced a year ago and we have not yet received any additional information to what was said during the SGP event. I wish it was never announced in the first place because then the thought of a release would not bother me. I expected at least some detailed info about the development or screenshot at least but we got nothing. I personally have spent about 150 € on C2 + I bought C1 back in 2015. That is more than I have spent on any software. I appreciate the limited number of developers but I think that the paying community should be more involved in the development and not treat it like some sort of Top Secret, sensitive information.

Look at MSFS for example. They have a clear roadmap of updates whereas Condor has "IRWIR". Obviously, I know that Microsoft is a giant but still. The real frustration is that we get nothing at all and I think that they could throw us a bone sometimes as a token of gratitude.

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:04 pm

To be fair, OXO only said that Condor 3 was in development. It took over 2 years from the point that Condor 2 was announced until the final release. Also your comparison between MSFS and Condor isn't fair either. MSFS is a released product receiving only updates, where Condor 3 is a new game. Asobo who develop MSFS work on it full time and they know exactly how many man hours they have available. It is much easier to give a clear timeline and development path. And even then, SimUpdate 10 is delayed due to unforeseen bugs.

Condor is done in the teams spare time. I myself have made several planes for Condor 2. I dedicate a great chunk of my spare time next to a full time job and a family to doing this work as a volunteer. The same goes for Uros and OXO. It is impossible to tell how many hours a week we can spend on working on Condor so it wouldn't be fair to the community to set expectations that cannot be met. So you are just going to have to be patient.

I don't think there is anything top secret, there may just not be anything to show yet at this stage of the development. I can only talk about the plane modeling side of it though, I will ask OXO if I can share a screenshot (in Blender) of something I have in development.
PH-1504, KOE

Post by 6266 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:49 pm

wickid wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:04 pm
... Condor is done in the teams spare time...
Thanks to all for this time. The result is amazing
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:43 pm

6266 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:49 pm
wickid wrote:
... Condor is done in the teams spare time...
Thanks to all for this time. The result is amazing
Thankyou.
wickid wrote:
will ask OXO if I can share a screenshot (in Blender) of something I have in development.
OXO allowed me to share this. It is part of a plane I'm developing for Condor 3
ASG32 showcase 4.jpg
OXO also wanted me to say that he will not be releasing any Condor 3 news until there is a clear timeline. Experience from the past learned that releasing info before that will only piss the community off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PH-1504, KOE

Petrucci14

Post by Petrucci14 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:39 pm

Fair enough. To be honest I wasn't expecting anything to be released after my post. I just wanted to highlight how awkward the situation is getting after a year of announcement. There are probably people who were expecting C3 to be released last year. The way things are going, I don't expect the release in a year.

I also have to add that I am actually grateful for the whole sim to even exist. It is just not too fair to leave the loyal community in the dark for so long. Obviously, I am not the head of the operation and I have no right to tell the Condor Team how to manage their work. I just feel that people would be more than happy to be a little more involved in the project but if they really insist to keep it a secret then I guess I just have to respect their decision.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:51 am

OK, I will make a few observations.

Condor 2 was 3 years work. V3 won't be that long, but its not a quick update either. It's a huge amount of work because we are updating all 38 V2 planes to support the new features. So far that's close, but not complete. This work is shared between me and Wiek.

I cannot talk about core V3 features, but I can talk a little bit about planes.

- There will be one new plane added to the ones included free with Condor.
- Currently we expect that on release day we will have between 3 and 5 new planes available to buy.
- Under construction and fairly well advanced are another 8 planes which will be released in the months following.
- There are 4 new towplanes being prepared. I'm sure that 2 or 3 of these will be included in V3. Maybe all 4.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Petrucci14

Post by Petrucci14 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:05 pm

Sounds good. Thank you!

UWE

Post by UWE » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:44 am

I'm really looking forward to it - no matter how long it takes.
The actual state of the Condor simulator is already very good.

alexlee

Post by alexlee » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:47 pm

As organisator of Marburg Open I absolutely agree what UWE said. I am waiting for the big update too but I totaly understand how much work it is. Until then we can still have fun with the old version.