AI autopilot, next version

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

alexvinckier

AI autopilot, next version

Post by alexvinckier » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:11 pm

Last year I posted here my first result of my AI based autopilot for the Condor simulator.
Here is the next version.
The main addition is the image processing. This detect the plane for automatic towing. Detection of airfield for improve landing. And cloud position and altitude detection.

Future development will focus on better thermaling and ridge flying

https://youtu.be/hjKo4oQ6Wnk
5F2C0F9F-8D99-4E1A-9BF8-8A987A181B8F.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

timbaeyens

Re: AI autopilot, next version

Post by timbaeyens » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:56 am

Very cool!

I hope one day you can have your AI fly the same route hundreds of thousands of time in non-real time, so we could learn from its optimisation for RL use.
TT

janjansen

Re: AI autopilot, next version

Post by janjansen » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:56 am

Thats very impressive. This has to be so much harder than it looks and its a bit of shame your talent and work cant be really used.

Have you contacted condor devs to see if they are open to working with you? when you think about it: condor rendering graphics from internal math/models, and your AI interpreting those rendered graphics again to get the data that condor used in the first place. Its really cool that it works, but with your AI integrated in a future version of condor, you wouldnt need the hassle (and compute power) of interpreting rendered graphics, you could get the data directly, Even if just the data that is available to a human pilot, so no hidden information about lift, just where the runway is, where clouds are, where other planes are. It could be used to populate the world with some AI gliders, so off line pilots dont have to feel so alone. Maybe it will be good enough one day to even race offline against AI.