Strange meteo behaviour

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

dgtfer

Strange meteo behaviour

Post by dgtfer » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:42 pm

In yesterday (2023-04-03) Condorsim's TchinTchin flight we had many problems: difficulties entering the flight, high loading time, and a launch cycle blocked forcing 3 successive server changes, despite the admin disconnection of all gliders in the queue.
This morning, while testing for the new Lietuva2 landscape which is due to be released soon, I realised that the problem might be due to the weather settings.
To summarize, fairly strong wind, no turbulence, strong and wide thermals, normal activities, but inversion at 800m:
00.jpg
I launched a solo test flight on this scenery, without changing the meteo settings of yesterday's flight.
When I entered the flight, I noticed that the loading time was abnormally long (even though the scenery is of normal size, I was not in network flight, and the thermal activity was only "normal").
Then in flight, I had a very choppy display with many jerks.
To my surprise, I found a first thermal very quickly. I was able to climb it up to 2000m and after leaving, I found another one immediately...?
Here is what I got with the thermals visibility on :
Shot247.jpg
The density of thermals is enormous, saturating the PC, and the thermals rise to 2500m, 1700m above the planned inversion!
I then checked the thermal map which was normal, and to check that the landscape was not at fault I ran the same weather on Slovenia2 again, with the same result:
Shot249.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dgtfer on Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dgtfer

Re: Strange meteo behaviour

Post by dgtfer » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:45 pm

I also checked on AA2, in the mountains, the number of thermals is much more "normal" but on the plain it is still important, (even if this density is affected by the size of the scenery, which is another known problem):
Shot251.jpg
I went back to Lithuania, with the same weather, but rasing up the inversion to 2800m:
Shot252.jpg
The amount of thermal is now considerably reduced. (probably about 10 times less!)
And with the inversion at 1800m we are back to "normal" activity:
Shot253.jpg
In conclusion, one must be very careful with the extreme settings, badly managed by Condor, and the inversion does not prevent the thermals to climb happily beyond.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.