Making decent wave in UK

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

DAVIDR

Making decent wave in UK

Post by DAVIDR » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:03 pm

Hi
Has anyone tips on making decent wave lift leeside from average hill ranges (EG Wales) where lift can be accessed at relatively low altitudes?
So far when I create conditions for wave I only get vague extreme high cloud shape with no chance to access?
Cheers

Paul_UK

Re: Making decent wave in UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:21 pm

I've had a dabble at this, and also tried getting wave setup in Scotland but as of yet I'm yet to be able to get Condor setup so that you are able to climb in wave at a respectable rate from a low altitude in the UK. I've even tried setting weather outside of the GUI capability, dropping the inversion level right down but still with no joy.

You should however be able to get it set so that there is weak wave lift but that doesn't allow you to task at high speeds.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Rotareneg

Re: Making decent wave in UK

Post by Rotareneg » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:21 pm

I suspect part of the issue is that the upper winds are interpolated from the inversion height to 5000m, so if you set the inversion height down to 800m (or lower if you edit the flight plan) you just get a very gradual transition from the inversion to 5000m. Maybe in Condor 3 the wind profile will be more adjustable?