UK Scenery

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

castleflyer

UK Scenery

Post by castleflyer » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:59 pm

I am trying to find out if the take off point can be changed at any given runway.

The take off point on the field at Talgarth is half way across the field, the tug then flies through the trees as not enough takeoff run.

Thanks

Paul_UK

Re: UK Scenery

Post by Paul_UK » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:44 pm

It can't be changed via the Condor user. Only the scenery creator, in this case Andy, can adjust this, if it's possible that is. I'm unsure what is required to set this.

Andy frequents on here so I'm sure he'll see this post but to be sure I'll ping him a PM too.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Post by 6266 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:17 pm

The length of the airport is really short, it will help to make it longer (in Landscape Editor). But you will miss the possibility to fly online with the modified landscape.
talgarth.png
If you want to try a change, you should backup first the United Kingdom.apt and .obj
talgarth2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
26 landscapes with free available textures, newest: AlpsW

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Andy1248

Post by Andy1248 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:29 pm

On the condor landscape editor a runway is created centred on the Lat Long coordinates entered by the designer. The length of this runway can be defined. Condor defines the launch point of the glider in a way that if there is a online racing task sufficient room is allowed behind the launch point to allow for many other gliders to stack up behind. In some online competitions the glider Q has extended beyond the airfield. To put it simply, the launch point is defined for competition not casual flying.
On a small airfield ie Talgarth it is more noticeable. I could have removed the trees from the end of the runway, perhaps there are other airfields in the UK scenery where aero tow is not possible. I do know that the French scenery designers do test all airfields on their sceneries so that aero tow is possible. Some scenery designers do state if aero tow is not possible at a certain site.

The only solution would been to make a runway at Talgarth way more longer than real life which would put the launch point more realistic to real life or remove the trees.

Sorry that it not possible at Talgarth.

I may make a patch in the future so could be added.
Condor CN = E20

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:53 pm

The launch point is 170 meters from the start of the blue runway box in the landscape editor. This is true for both online and offline flying.

There are 17 ten meter gridspots available on the runway. The rest of the gliders are stacked "along the fence" at the rear of the blue box until it is their turn to join the launch queue.
PH-1504, KOE

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:22 pm

OP, for a quick fix for now, whilst this won't look as pretty, just turn off trees if you wish to aerotow out of Talgarth.

There is also something else to consider. Some tug aircraft are very underpowered for the larger gliders with full ballast. You can force to use the Wilga or Z226 by removing all other tug aircraft folders from the planes folder. Just remember to place them back before flying online otherwise you may receive an error.

BRE901 has also made a utility to aid this for those who are not confident in moving directories or creating their own BAT file

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20123&p=178461#p178461
Last edited by Paul_UK on Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Post by 6266 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:35 pm

Talgarth startpoint original
talgarth_org.png
If you change the length from 390 to 750 you get a startpoint here
talgarth_mod.png
Of course there is no space now for 17 others, but for to fly alone it's good enough. The towplane doesn't care about the planes at the side ...

Here are the modified files (I think only the .apt is relevant, but both are changed on saving the landscape)

https://prosjekt.baleit.no/homepage/zip ... ingdom.zip

REMEMBER THE BACKUP OF THE OLD FILES!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
26 landscapes with free available textures, newest: AlpsW

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC