Ground Speed

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

WGDrachenfels

Ground Speed

Post by WGDrachenfels » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:59 pm

Dear all,
I am relatively new to Condor 2 and am still setting it up and configuring it. I also fly gliders in real life with reasonable cross country experience.
I have a funny observation and am wondering if anybody can help me with it:
My laptop is probably not the best (i7, 32GB, NVIDIA Graphics 2GB), and I still operate it with 3 monitors and high resolution.
Works pretty well, FPS typically starts around 20 and then decreases to 7-8 within minutes. Still pretty good.
The glider behaves well, all fine, IAS as expected and in straight line at around 130km/h.
Wind set to zero to eliminate impact.
But the glider moves with very low ground speed, a straight line of 10km takes more than 10 minutes. No circling in thermals.
Flying a small triangle came out at an average speed of 46km/h where I expected twice the speed. Took me 3h to fly 150km.
Again, all indicators in the glider show normal values and the glider behaves well.

Is there any connect between the laptop computing power (see FPS) and the calculated ground speed used for flight simulation?

Thanks to advise.
Wolf

wickid

Re: Ground Speed

Post by wickid » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:36 am

Yes, FPS below 15 or so (man at work symbol in the top right of the screen) can mess up the physics simulation and cause this.

I suggest reducing the graphics settings and trying your test again.
PH-1504, KOE

Rotareneg

Post by Rotareneg » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:36 am

Also, make sure you're actually using the nVidia GPU and not the Intel integrated one.

WGDrachenfels

Post by WGDrachenfels » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:03 pm

Thank you very much for your advice!
I have reduced the graphics settings and it did not help much.
Finally I reduced to one monitor and that helped to bring FPS to 60 initially, but eventually reducing in flight to 20. But ok, works.
Still fine tuning settings.

And I tried to install the Nvidia GPU driver but unfortunately it was blocked by the operating system, indicating that a graphics driver change is not allowed. Strange but I have no clue how to resolve that....