Multiple Displays & GPUs issue

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

zpqrtbnk

Multiple Displays & GPUs issue

Post by zpqrtbnk » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:02 pm

Hey.

I am running Condor2 2.1.7 under Windows 10 (latest updates) on a Lenovo P50 laptop. Yes it's a laptop, but a highly powerful one.

My laptop has two GPUs:
  • A low-end, energy-efficient Intel GPUs
  • A higher-end, performance-oriented NVIDIA GPU
And two displays:
  • A 4K internal display (3840x2160x32)
  • A bigger external display (1920x1080x32)
So far, I have been running Condor2 on the NVIDIA GPU on the external display, in fullscreen. At launch,
  • It reports only 1 display, the external one, at 1920x1080x32
  • It runs with the NVIDIA GPU
  • It displays menus on the internal display, but they can be dragged to the external one, and scale nicely
  • It runs the actual flight on the external display, fullscreen, at 140+ fps - beautiful
Now, I would like to switch to emulated fullscreen, in order to be able to overlay other apps on top of Condor. But!

If I switch the display mode to emulated fullscreen, Condor runs the actual flight on the external display... but only covers 3/4 of it. I can Alt-Enter between emulated and real fullscreen, real = the entire screen, emulated = 3/4 of it.

I have tried:

Forcing the GPU
(see at https://www.itechtics.com/use-specific-gpu/, Display / Graphics settings / Desktop app / Condor2)
- Condor2 sees the 2 displays and max resolution of 3840x2160x32
- Have to configure to use the external display only
- but then, does not make a difference, same issue

Overriding High DPI scaling for the Condor2 app
(see viewtopic.php?t=18413)
- Not overriden = menus are OK on both displays, emulated fullscreen is smaller than external display
- 'Application' = menus are super small, emulated fullscreen is bigger than external display
- 'System' = menus are OK on both displays, emulated fullscreen is smaller than external display

Here, smaller = 3/4 of the display, and bigger = twice the size of the display.

So basically, did not help.

Ideas? Anyone knows how to get it to work? Or, can I help troubleshooting in any way?

wickid

Re: Multiple Displays & GPUs issue

Post by wickid » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:07 pm

Condor runs by default on the primary display. Did you try changing which display is seen as the primary one via display settings? I'm guessing at the moment it is the laptop internal screen. What happens when you make the external screen the primary one?
PH-1504, KOE

zpqrtbnk

Post by zpqrtbnk » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:50 pm

Did you try changing which display is seen as the primary one via display settings?
Well, that does it. Condor now starts on the external display, and does perfect fullscreen emulation. Amazing, thanks !!

Now I note that you also write...
Condor runs by default on the primary display.
And is there a way to tell Condor to run on the secondary display, ie the external one, without having to make it the primary display, as I would rather keep the internal display the primary one?

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:42 am

You can try this :

- Open SETUP > GRAPHICS
- Open "Setup monitors [x]"
- MONITOR 1 > Check with the identify button that this is your current master monitor. If it is, Uncheck Enabled
- With the Monitor pull-down menu, check all monitors with the Identify button to find your preferred monitor.
- Enable it and check that the "View direction offset..." is 0 deg.
- Check if the Screen resolution is the same as your new preferred monitor. If not, change it.

It is not guaranteed that this will work with no-PDA tasks. Test it.

zpqrtbnk

Post by zpqrtbnk » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:09 am

With the Monitor pull-down menu, check all monitors with the Identify button to find your preferred monitor.
Well, the thing is, by default, if the Primary Display is the internal one, Condor sees only one display and that is the external one. So it does start on the internal one (because it's Primary?), probably grabs some values from that display, but then fails to properly detect it. Again: that internal display does not show in SETUP, only the external one. And the flight runs on the external one, with wrong scaling.

Switching the Primary Display to the external one solves the issue: Condor keeps starting on the Primary Display, which this time is the external one, grabs the correct values, runs the flight on the external display with correct scaling.

Now the fact that Condor does not even see the internal display... I'm going to investigate this, it may be a quirks of the NVIDIA + Lenovo multi-GPU thing. If I change the graphics settings in Windows for Condor, to force usage of the NVIDIA GPU, then Condor does see the two displays (but, doing what you propose does not work: even with only the external display enabled in SETUP, Condor seems to pick some values from the Primary Display no matter what).

Happy to help if I can be helpful in any ways.
Thanks!

zpqrtbnk

Post by zpqrtbnk » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:26 pm

In case in may be useful to others, in the meantime I have found that NirSoft MultiMonitor tool can be used to simply switch the primary display before and after I launch Condor:

Code: Select all

MultiMonitorTool.exe /SetNextPrimary
It's easy to create a shortcut or whatever your favorite method is.

And, it only adds one step the the Condor Start Ceremony:
  • Flip primary display
  • Start VSPE to relay NMEA to XCSoar
  • Start XCSoar
  • Start any other overlay, HUD, etc
  • Start OpenTrack
  • Start SmoothTrack on the iPhone
  • Ensure that stick / pedals / etc are plugged in
  • Start Condor (yay!)