SGP Serie 11?

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

witor

SGP Serie 11?

Post by witor » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:46 pm

As SGP serie 11 has been announced and even a new scenery in Australia has been created, I assume that organizers of the virtual SGP are thinking about the qualifying events for the 2023 finals. To be honest I really hope they do. After the excellent finals they organized in 2021 I am sure many condor pilots (including me) just want more!

This brings me to the question about the qualification process, because I think it is very difficult to come up with a process which will be fair and will promote gliding and condor across the world. I don't really have any ideas about how this could be done... I don't think that we can just use the real world qualifying rules with only 20 people in each regional event with 5 non nationals being allowed in each, or can we?

I started this topic hoping that people will share their ideas which will hopefully help vSGP organisers to decide (if they haven't decided yet) how the qualifying will work.

So, thinking about 2023 finals how (in your opinion) do we come up with 20 finalists?

wickid

Re: SGP Serie 11?

Post by wickid » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:54 pm

My guess, they just run the qualifying rounds like they did the Varese competition (https://www.condor.club/comp/show/0/?id=587) earlier this year. Top 2 of each competition qualifies. If they are already qualified the next one down the list gets in.
PH-1504, KOE

witor

Post by witor » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:27 pm

Yes that makes sense, but since most condor competitions are won by the European guys isn't this going to turn the world finals into a European championship? Do you think that that's OK? If yes are you not worried that this event will fail to popularize gliding across the world? Or maybe, and I am very sorry if I did that, I just underestimated pilots from other continents?

havet865

Post by havet865 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:45 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your post Witor!

Indeed, there will be a virtual Series running in parallel of the real one. We are finalising the last details and are going to make some announcements in the coming weeks.

We have created a Discord Channel where everyone can get in touch with what is going on with FAI & Virtual Gliding. The Discord channel is not very active, as we did not really launch it publicly yet. https://discord.gg/zDUgeC59zH

To answer briefly your questions:
- We will create the 10 qualifying events on Condor.Club in early January
- You are free to register to one or more qualifying events
- We will plan slots accordingly with the number of competitors (no selection process: if there are 300 pilots competing at each qualifier, that is not an issue)
- Pilots will qualify to the Final in 2023 via the qualifying events as per SGP Rules; so the top 2 pilots of each events will be qualified. 3rd is on reserve list.
- Current World Champion (Ben Fest) is invited and does not need to compete to the qualifiers.
- Final will be with 21 or 22 pilots (not decided yet), we will apply same rules & selection process as real SGP.
- World Final 2023 will be a big event. :wink:

We are working hard to have official eSports events next year (not only SGP) in cooperation with the FAI/IGC, but we cannot announce it yet. :wink:
I hope that those infos will get you excited for what is about to come, and that you are looking forward to join our events!

Enjoy your family time/holidays and see you soon!

Antoine

PS: well spotted for Australia, I hope that you will enjoy Gawler! We are making sure all sceneries will be working before each event.

witor

Post by witor » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:35 pm

Thank you Antoine for your post. It looks like my question was not really needed as you already have things worked out!

The future for condor competitors is going to be so exiting!