Help with thermals

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Jeremybonnough

Help with thermals

Post by Jeremybonnough » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:47 pm

When I first installed Condor - Thermals were great. I adjusted the wind speed, and lost all the thermals. Tried adjusting them back - Can't seams to get any? What was the program set on originally? Any suggestions?

I've tried several different settings with the Thermals tab and get get any? I must be missing something simple..

Please advise.

Thank you

Jeremy

Re: Help with thermals

Post by 6266 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:29 pm

Look in the flight planner on this side. You can move all points A, B and C. Changing them you will get bigger or smaller clouds, higher or lower. If there is no cloud, there will be blue thermals
thermals.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Jarmo K

Post by Jarmo K » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:34 pm

Simpliest way is to select one of the presettings instead of custom.
Here's "bombastic" selected :wink:
presettings.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:12 pm

Post up your FPL file so we can take a look.

You haven't altered the DATE for the task at all have you? If you set the date in winter / autumn (depending which scenery you're flying) then it could be that impacting thermal generation.

Wind speed alone shouldn't prevent thermals generating, it just means they have massive drift. To get visibility on just how much turn on thermal helpers.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Jeremybonnough

Post by Jeremybonnough » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:22 am

Paul_UK wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:12 pm
Post up your FPL file so we can take a look.

You haven't altered the DATE for the task at all have you? If you set the date in winter / autumn (depending which scenery you're flying) then it could be that impacting thermal generation.

Wind speed alone shouldn't prevent thermals generating, it just means they have massive drift. To get visibility on just how much turn on thermal helpers.
Not sure what the FPL file is. The "H" button to show the Thermals does not seem to work. I also tried "bombastic" and still could not find a thermal. When I first installed the program - It seemed to work just fine.

Post by 6266 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:51 am

The FPL file is the file with your flight plan. You save the FPL file with the Save button in flight planner. You find the saved file in the Condor folder, usually in Documents\Condor\FlightPlans.

Thermalhelpers are only visible if the thermal helpers range is not 0
flp.png
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:07 pm

I'm at work but just had a thought. Jeremy, are you flying using the default Slovenia scenery? If not let us know what scenery you are flying on.

One of us will just post up an FPL file you can download to get thermals working again. You will have to place this in the folder 6266 has stated and then use LOAD in the flight planner to load it.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Jeremybonnough

Post by Jeremybonnough » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:09 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. based on what you guys showed - Its working now. I appreciate it.