Advice on what glider to buy

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

raelias

Advice on what glider to buy

Post by raelias » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this in search of guidance, since I can't seem to find many topics on the subject or any reviews on the website or anywhere.

I currently only own the gliders included with the sim, and I'm Looking to expand.

Basically I would like one new glider for 15m, standard, and 18m at least, my question is inside of the catagories, is there a "better" (say between the Discus2a and the LS8neo), not necessarelly on performance but handling and other features as well as how well it's made.

Thank you in advance.

Petrucci14

Re: Advice on what glider to buy

Post by Petrucci14 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:46 pm

Hi!

Here are the best gliders for each class.

Open: EB29R
20m multi: Duo is fine!
18m: JS-3
15m: JS-3
Standard: LS-8 or Discus (depends on task)
Club: ASW-20 (Condor club uses FAI index)
School: Weird one, doesn't matter :D

I would buy the EB, JS-3, LS-8, ASW-20 and LS-4. The LS-4 is useful sometimes in "All class".
Last edited by Petrucci14 on Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

raelias

Post by raelias » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:07 pm

Petrucci14 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:46 pm
Hi!

Here are the best gliders for each class.

Open: EB29R
18m: JS-3
15m: JS-3
Standard: LS-8 or Discus (depends on task)
Club: ASW-20 (Condor club uses FAI index)
School: Weird one, doesn't matter :D

I would buy the EB, JS-3, LS-8, ASW-20 and LS-4. The LS-4 is useful sometimes in "All class".
Thanks for your input, very helpful!

Is is LS-8 significantly better then the Discus? I'd preffer the later for the bigger PDA lol

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:15 pm

Discus is generally better on thermal tasks with medium speeds. The LS8 is better at the high end (eg. ridge tasks). It also has a significantly higher Vne which makes for higher energy starts and helps with wave tasks where Vne becomes an issue. You can also push faster when you end up high on final glide.

The performance difference is very small however.
PH-1504, KOE

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:31 pm

If it helps you choice:
LS8D2.png
LS8 in blue, Discus2 in red
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PH-1504, KOE

raelias

Post by raelias » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:47 pm

wickid wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:31 pm
If it helps you choice:

LS8D2.png

LS8 in blue, Discus2 in red
That's perfect thank you

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:09 pm

In the 15m/18m class, the JS3 performs slightly better provided you have strong and wide thermals or ridge, but the Ventus3 climbs better in "realistic" thermals and its low speed handling is nicer at MTOW.

Don't forget: it's the pilot who wins (or loses) the race, not the glider :roll:
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Kestrel_BY

Post by Kestrel_BY » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi there, instead of saying "x" or "y" glider's better, I'll try to picture them as concisely as possible, class by class, because beyond its performances, you have to like your glider, and it has to fit your gliding style.

Before I start, do note that in my experience, for most races with an non-ridiculous average speed (under 160km/h avg. or so), the handicaps work well, may it be in club class or in multiclass.

Standard class :
[*]Genesis 2 : The history behind the glider is that it was designed by students with the goal to make a flying wing as good as a Discus (first generation), and was later manufactured by LAK. Without ballasts it's decent, probably around a discus/ASW24 at the same windloading. However, when loaded, it's a pour climber with (in my opinion) a lack in efficiency in both rudders and elevator (the Rudder's efficiency is so low that it's actually a problem for crosswind landing/takeoffs). It's also fairly bellow the LS8 and the Discus in transition at MTOW.
[*]LS8 Neo : The easiest of the class. Typical rolladen Schneider handling (Very smooth, excellent climber), ever so slightly bellow the discus in transition.
[*]Discus 2a : Its handling is much more incisive than the LS (the closest glider I can think of which I've flown IRL is the ASW24), it's not a bad climber but requires more attention, on the other hand it is slightly advantaged in transition (compared to the LS).

Do note that in this class, the LS8 and the Discus are really comparable, just choose whatever fits you better.

Club Class :
Let's not compare them all one by one because of how proficient the plane-makers have been in this class. Basically, note that the handicap works quite well (as stated above), so focus on the glider's handling over performance since the handicap will compensate these performances. The 2 most flown glider in this category are the LS4 and the ASW20. The LS4, just as the LS8, is a typical Rolladen-Schneider glider, smooth handling, excellent climber, probably one of the easiest glider of the game. On the other hand the ASW20 is indeed the fastest (compensated by his higher handicap). It has flaps, and also makes for a fairly decent multiclass glider. Going down in performance (slightly) you'll find the Pegase. I don't own it in Condor so I'll speak about my real life experience of the glider : its performances are indeed quite good, not so far away from the LS4. Its piloting on the other hand is quite "old fashioned" with its very flexible wings and its quite inaccurate ailerons (note : I don't know if you feel this in condor or not). Then you'll find the ASW19 and the DG100G. I don't know about the DG but the ASW19 is a fairly easy glider, I've had a soft spot for it in the most recent times because I do find some similarities with the ASW24 which I loved flying in real life. And to finish with this class you have the Cirrus and the Libelle. I haven't flown the Cirrus much because I found it quite bland, it's a good glider overall, with better transition performances than the libelle but it is indeed a little less good in thermals. The Libelle on the other hand is an excellent climber, lots of fun, and very atypical, even if lower L/D have caused me an outlanding or two.

15m Class :
[*]Diana 2 : The Diana is on par with the Ventus and the JS3 performance-wise. It is, however, much much harder to master. It really takes some practice to be able to thermal it properly, and its wing flexibility make it quite tiring in turbulent weather, but then its agility is appreciable.
[*]Ventus 3 : As stated above the Ventus a very good climber, which compensate its very slightly lower transition performances. It is also, in my opinion, a fairly easy and accessible glider handling-wise. It is a good introduction to flaped gliders if you've never flown any.
[*]JS3 : Indeed one of the most flown glider of the simulator. It is slightly faster with good transition performances, but it is much harder to thermal. In more realistic weathers with narrower or weaker thermals, I often find myself forced to fly at 55 or even 53 kg/m², where it's easier to thermal the JS3, but then the loss of wingloading tends to put your transition performances on par with the Ventus 3.
[*]DG808C : It is indeed slower than the other three, but I do enjoy the DG in multiclass. Its handling is somewhat comparable to an LS6 for example, and it is very very easy to fly, as well as a good climber. Lots of fun if you're not looking for a competitive 15m (or if you want a neat glider for multiclass tasks where the handicap will compensate the slightly lower performances).

18m Class
[*]Antares 18S : Very easy to fly, for some reason its polar sinks at higher speeds, it's otherwise pretty decent and an excellent climber. Quite good for weaker weathers.
[*]Ventus 3 : Very comparable to the 15m : slower than the JS3 in transition, it is a much better climber. I find the 18m version to lack rudder efficiency however (and I DO like my gliders tail-heavy)
[*]JS3 : Just as the 15m, it is the best in transition, it's much easier to make it climb than the 15m version, and I do prefer it in 18m.
[*]ASG29 : A slightly older glider. Its performances are very slightly lower than the JS3 and the Ventus. I do love its handling however, with excellent rudder efficiency and a good "18m" feeling (note that this is highly subjective).
[*]JS1: I haven't flown it much, but it's quite nice. On par with the ASG29 performance-wise (or somewhere in between the ASG29 and the Ventus 3)
[*]DG808C : Similarily to the Antares, it isn't competitive at higher speeds. It is however a fairly good climber and does well in weaker weathers.

Open Class
The EB29R is indeed very advantaged in this class. Note however that it is very, very heavy to handle, so you better find yourselves larger thermals if you're not used to it. Otherwise the JS1-21 is good, even excellent in multiclass, but can hardly compete with the EB29 in open class.

In the 20m class the Arcus is fairly ahead of the Duo Discus. In multiclass however, its coefficient refrains me from using it (same handicap as the JS3 but flies 30 km/h slower if you fly at the same L/D).

Also do consider that some gliders offer the advantage to be able to compete in 2 classes, which is nice when you don't plan to spend too much money on Condor. But the best advice I can give is : Have fun, play with the gliders you like, get to know them, learn how they're flown, that's a lot of fun (multiclass tasks are great for this, if the weather isn't ridiculously strong). Another thing I recommend tweaking with is the gliders' CG. Some prefer their gliders nose-heavy (which is more stable), while some others prefer them tailheavy (which is more agile), but it needs some personnal testing to find what fits you the most. For example, I tend to set my standard class gliders around -2cm, and my flapped gliders at -3 or -4cm (depends which one).

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:47 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:09 pm
In the 15m/18m class, the JS3 performs slightly better provided you have strong and wide thermals or ridge, but the Ventus3 climbs better in "realistic" thermals and its low speed handling is nicer at MTOW.

Don't forget: it's the pilot who wins (or loses) the race, not the glider :roll:
Agree with you here Bre. I prefer flying the Ventus3 in a thermal task with 'realistic' settings.

I'd add I don't agree that for club class you want the ASW20. It depends on the task. For a thermal task with realistic settings for me the ASW19 is my weapon of choice. I'd love the Libelle to be more competitive however I just never seem to score as well compared to when I fly the 19.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Sprunga

Post by Sprunga » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:02 am

Js3