Condor (3?) better weather engine idea

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

roeoender

Condor (3?) better weather engine idea

Post by roeoender » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:59 pm

If I had to limit myself to a single feature that I really need in Condor (3?) is way more realistic weather - especially on flatlands. All other bugs/lack of features I can circumvent / live without.

Current cloud/thermal model is so limited that after many years I actually stopped enjoying flying in Condor - “puffy/circular Cu only” weather is actually quite rare in RL.

Someone said that “gliding is a sport for meteorologists” - I couldn’t agree more - RL pilots spend a lot of time (sometimes too much ;) ) studying weather forecasts and its change in time before deciding on a cross country flight. It is in fact deciding part of good XC flight.

Even after adding way more parameters to the current weather settings it won’t allow us to generate realistic dynamic weather varied in space and time - how to specify movement and evolution of baric centers that will arrive from outside the map borders, map of current ground humidity that affect cloud creation etc.

So in my opinion the best source of dynamic weather data would be a weather prediction engine like rasp blipmaps - (example that I use in RL flying: https://europe.fcst.pl/).
Those forecasts are calculated from real world data sources to predict real weather so the realism of such generated weather is as real as you can currently get. And those tools are made to provide weather info for gliders so just what we need.
As a bonus people could use the same weather services as they would use in RL flying to plan their XC flight and at the same time learn to correctly interpret/verify weather maps provided by such services.

Some clarifications:
  • We don’t need real time data(!), this data can be gathered and computed offline for historic days and user/competition organiser could choose from some (probably automatically) selected as interesting historic weathers.
  • Having this data computed offline/asynchronously means that the weather information can be computed as slowly/as precisely as is needed for proper level of detail needed for sim (unlike it seems now - in just a few seconds before flight), and once computed could be reused many times and also shared.
  • Weather could be prepared by some external/standalone tool locally from rasp data or in the cloud (no pun intended). It would be probably best to have some weather Condor API or data format to have multiple weather data providers/elasticity/externalise weather generation. Notably MSFS2020 devs claim they won’t provide such API so it would be a clear advantage for Condor.
Myself and probably many others, would be eager to pay for such a “pro weather pack” consisting for example of summer 2020 in UK, Germany etc or chip in for crowdfunding such a feature.

I'd like to know if the devs consider such idea for implementation?

Pit_R

Re: Condor (3?) better weather engine idea

Post by Pit_R » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:45 pm

+1

This is too perfect to come true, ;) but using such service would be a great add-on to C3.
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:36 pm

We discussed this last week in the other thread.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:57 pm

OXO wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:36 pm
We discussed this last week in the other thread.

Missed that - could you give link, please?
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.