Training simulators; 3rd party mods and other questions

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Tobster

Training simulators; 3rd party mods and other questions

Post by Tobster » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:14 pm

I'm currently involved in development of my club's simulator. We've recently migrated it to Condor 2 and added VR for the student pilot (instructor monitors on the wrap around screens). The simulator is predominantly used for flight training and consists of a Puchacz cockpit surrounded by three projector screens.

It would be very useful to have the following, and I was wondering if 3rd party mods exist to provide them:
-The ability to immediately set the position, airspeed and orientation of the glider to fixed locations (e.g. to practice repeated approaches - currently we have to press "Q" and then fly back to the start of the approach, which involves a combination of guesswork and fancy-flying for the instructor).
-Instrument panel on a separate monitor (possibly standalone software using a virtual COM port for NMEA sentences?).

Also, I've found that it doesn't seem to be possible to get a relaunch in Free Flight mode, so users are having to quit and refly the simulation. Am I missing something? I'm pretty sure it used to do this if you landed back inside an airfield area.

JShieck

Re: Training simulators; 3rd party mods and other questions

Post by JShieck » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:11 pm

Tobster wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:14 pm
to get a relaunch in Free Flight mode
Just click on Multiplayer and fly as host. (Maybe set a password.) So the software handles the flight as a multiplayer flight and you are able to relaunch.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:27 pm

I'll ping you something on Discord
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

CondorSi

Post by CondorSi » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:49 am

Hi,

see glidingschool.com for a whole bunch of pre-solo lessons, including start points for exercises like repeated approaches. It is available online, aimed at ab initios wishing to self-brief, and for use with and by instructors. It is like a combination of a book and a DVD, published as a website - for each lesson, it tells you what to do, and shows you how to do it. Also available for use in Condor's Flight School, where you can practise each exercise, without having to fly into position first!

It has been developed with input from multiple experienced instructors, to the BGA syllabus, and is free to use, and is non-commercial.

Enjoy :)
Visit https://glidingschool.com for free gliding lessons, online and in Condor's Flight School