Join window! ..Why....??

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Fingers

Join window! ..Why....??

Post by Fingers » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi Folks.

Had this sim for a few weeks now and managed to get into an online race, once.

For eg of my frustration;

I turn on the PC, there's a race in the list with 7 people in, it says I can join, YES, the servers only been up for 6 mins, its looking good maybe this is it, go to join....... NONE SHALL PASS.. YOUR TOO LATE!!!

From what I see servers have a join time of 10 mins or even less maybe, then race start in 40-60 mins. 10 min window to join then the door slams shut but the race might not start for another 40-60 mins.

Why not just leave the door open till the race starts, giving more people a chance to join in over a 60-70 min period?

wickid

Re: Join window! ..Why....??

Post by wickid » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:53 pm

I know, I find that frustrating too. I tend to use this serverlist: https://condor.hitziger.net/serverlist/

It does not show all servers the official one does, only the ones that use DSHelper made by the owner of that site. But I think that is over 90% of the servers and almost all servers many people use. It shows how much time you have left to join in the list.
PH-1504, KOE

Post by 6266 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:09 pm

Everybody can start a server with a task. So they are responsible for the settings. I have never experienced such a setting like you say. Usually there was a join in time round about 20 - 30 minutes, race starting 1 - 2 minutes after join in. The FAI SGP with a race start 15 minutes after join in was the longest waiting time I have seen until now, but I don't see so much different servers.

You should try the UK VSC, like I suggested in an earlier post to you, they fly today again. Or look at the NCC an thursday, 18 UTC. There are others too, but I can't suggest things that I don't know myself.

If you want to fly online together with others the best way is to look for a group or a competition. Then you know when it's starting. When I started with Condor last year I had the same problem like you. Only to look at the server list and expect to find a task flying with others was not really successful. The game changed when I got in contact with a group, of course the UK VSC, a very friendly group I learned a lot of.
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
24 landscapes with free available textures, newest: AlpsE

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:34 pm

Cheers, by chance this link https://condor.hitziger.net/serverlist/ got me flying with others straight away. I can see the stop joins are all different, I must just be out of sync when most people are flying.

First time completing a live race, there were about 8-10 starters, most enjoyable.

https://www.condor.club/besttimes/0/?id=19175

I have joined the VCS, Paul has been very welcoming thank you. Done quite a few of the tasks off line.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:24 pm

It's all down to the task setter and what they choose.

As a task setter for VSC I try to set the tasks so that they can be flown offline as well as online. As we tend to generally start airborne these days I set a very short RACE IN time (1 or 2min) and a large start window so that you have time to gain height if required and get into position to start. If we're having a Regatta start I'll usually set the 2min RACE IN time and ensure when you join the flight you're high enough to fly through the start gate at a respectable speed without having to take a climb. It's also highlighted the task is a Regatta start on Discord so that pilots know to join the server early if they wish to get a feel of the conditions.

Our server is always open for people to join for 30mins. Some still manage to miss that window at times though still.

It is hard to find servers to fly on with others as you say, I always struggled for ones in the UK. Even during Covid lockdowns a lot of the other UK clubs who were hosting servers passworded them. Bit of a shame really as for me the more racing the better, it's much nicer flying with others. The Cirrus cup series VSC hosted was cracking. 40 odd pilots all piling through the start gate at the same time (Regatta start for every race) made for great entertainment and that first climb.....always very interesting :lol:

Glad to see Hitzi has made it easier for you to find a server that's open and available to join.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....