Condor 3 feature requests

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Stephen Szikora

Re: Condor 3 feature requests

Post by Stephen Szikora » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:21 pm

A few posts above, someone included "sloped runways" in their wish list. That capability exists. It is up to the map makers to use it. In Arc Alpin, it exists at Courchevel - an extreme example of a sloped runway. I recommend everyone try some circuits there!

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:35 pm

Stephen Szikora wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:21 pm
A few posts above, someone included "sloped runways" in their wish list. That capability exists. It is up to the map makers to use it. In Arc Alpin, it exists at Courchevel - an extreme example of a sloped runway. I recommend everyone try some circuits there!
Yes but this isn't working great. It is very difficult to make and planes often crash over edges. Proper sloped runways are different.
PH-1504, KOE

tiberius

Post by tiberius » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:44 pm

I know I’m likely to get an ‘IRWIR’ response, and I understand the reasons behind such a response, but dare I ask roughly how long are we looking for V3 release? Are we talking months or possibly years?

Very much looking forward to it, particularly the anticipated more advanced weather model.

Apologies in advance OXO.

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:37 am

Stephen Szikora wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:21 pm

I am not sure if you have ever tried to make a sloped runway - but it really doesn't exist in a useful way for us landscape developers.

Courchevel is a nice attempt, but it is a completely broken airport as far as Condor goes. Try these things with Courchevel:

• Set wind to 10kts @ 136deg - aerotow. Tow plane starts hovering over the runway before it even gets lined up. The tow plane does not follow the heightmap mesh, while the glider does - by the time the glider starts flying you are 100' below the tow plane. There is massive 3D object clipping that occurs during the entire tow.
  • Set wind to 10kts @ 317deg - aerotow. As soon as you load in the glider starts rolling backwards. By the time the tow plane gets into position and starts to take off, you get an immediate rope break because the glider has rolled all the way down the hill and flipped a 180 facing the opposite direction of the tow plane.
The problem with the current implementation is that you have to either use the Landscape Editor mesh editing tool to try and create a slope with pushing and pulling of meshes that you can't even see - you only see height values - or you rely on srtm satellite height map data - which is not accurate enough to produce smoothly sloped meshes. And you can't easily integrate 3D runway objects on top of the height map mesh. As soon as you start trying to push/pull the heightmap into a slope, you end up with a horribly bumpy surface that is impossible to takeoff from or land on reliably. It is a nightmare.

It is not an easy problem to solve. But it would certainly be nice to have some basic mesh editing tools for the heightmap - such as linear slope tool, or a bezier slope tool - and then some method of specifying an area that is the runway - which is currently done using a separately created .G file. For sure to maintain backwards compatibility, there would have to be support for applying the runway polygon in the .G file on top of the sloped heightmap.
Last edited by bluefang on Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

alexlee

Post by alexlee » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:55 pm

Besides what is already been said I would like to see:

- a realistic wave model: waves are no strong lifts on the upwind side. This is basically wrong simulated. They are usually found on the downwind side where the rotor is.

- weather model: getting rid of a thermal map as a layer of a map. Thermals are often in to big distance from each other. This is also wrong simulated especially in flatten areas. It would be nice to create a dynamic weather model.

- the option to join a freeflight in a multiplayer session after jointime expired. So if you crash, you are able to take off again, meet your friends and cruise around without scoring.

-winch launch: set realistic takeoff speeds like 120 km/h instead of 150 or even more.

-aerotow: avoid to tow into sink areas like of the lee side of a mountain. In reallife every towpilot would get in trouble for this. Also try to avoid flying to near or into a mountain would be nice. Towplanes should tow into lifts like they usually do.

- Arcus bug: Planepack 22 didn‘t solve the bug, that the Duo Discus is always better than the arcus. The plane is a huge mess and it doesn‘t make fun to fly because there is a massive problem with the weight balance and the flap settings in my opinion. This is why people who organize and host competitions avoid tasks for 20m.

- making new planes: Please focus more on planes what are popular on the market.

- The option to choose my specific towplanes for competition. There is no need for the dynamic. I would rather like to have the Aviat Husky in the collection instead an ultralight plane.

Best regards,

Alexander (organizer and hoster of Marburg Open)

Post by 6266 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:44 pm

alexlee wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:55 pm
- The option to choose my specific towplanes for competition. There is no need for the dynamic. I would rather like to have the Aviat Husky in the collection instead an ultralight plane.
If I understood right, you can delete towplanes from the server then they will not be used.
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:51 pm

6266 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:44 pm
If I understood right, you can delete towplanes from the server then they will not be used.

Correct.

alexlee

Post by alexlee » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:55 pm

EDB wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:51 pm
6266 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:44 pm

Correct.
How does it work? Deleting the folder of the plane?

best regards,

Alexander

wickid

Post by wickid » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:09 pm

alexlee wrote:

- Arcus bug: Planepack 22 didn‘t solve the bug, that the Duo Discus is always better than the arcus. The plane is a huge mess and it doesn‘t make fun to fly because there is a massive problem with the weight balance and the flap settings in my opinion. This is why people who organize and host competitions avoid tasks for 20m.
Arcus and Duo performance are matched to the best data we have available. If you have better data/polars feel free to submit it to the support email address. If you look here you'll see that your statement about the duo being better is not true. https://dl.virtualsoaring.eu/PDF/Arcus_Duo.pdf. if you set the weather too strong or have a lot of ridgeracing the duo's handicap works in it's advantage. But with more realistic weather the Arcus with the improved polar from HU22 will beat the Duo.
PH-1504, KOE

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:23 pm

alexlee wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:55 pm
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20123&p=176011&hil ... ct#p172019

Besides that, once you have introduced yourself, no need for your name or "regards"
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Post by 6266 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:38 pm

alexlee wrote:
Yes, I did it so local, must be the same on the server

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:31 pm

6266 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:38 pm
alexlee wrote:
Yes, I did it so local, must be the same on the server
Deleting the folders may cause issues (if you do it locally you won't be able to join some servers) ; better to rename it.
See my post just above
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Post by 6266 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:38 pm

Yes, I made a backup of the folders, if I fly online (my interest to do it is nearly zero), I have to copy them back

havet865

Post by havet865 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:52 pm

wickid wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:09 pm
alexlee wrote:

Arcus and Duo performance are matched to the best data we have available. If you have better data/polars feel free to submit it to the support email address. If you look here you'll see that your statement about the duo being better is not true. https://dl.virtualsoaring.eu/PDF/Arcus_Duo.pdf. if you set the weather too strong or have a lot of ridgeracing the duo's handicap works in it's advantage. But with more realistic weather the Arcus with the improved polar from HU22 will beat the Duo.
100% agree with what Wickid is saying here. If you have a european weather and fly in flatlands, the Arcus will be much better than the Duo. Otherwise with bombastic conditions and just ridges...

Pit_R

Post by Pit_R » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:30 am

alexlee wrote:

This is why people who organize and host competitions avoid tasks for 20m.

Well, we're making contests for double seaters. And we did it when Duo was overmodelled and now when Arcus is improved as well. ;)
People avoid to use 20m class coz those gliders are slow and low performance. ;)

Feel free to join with Duo, or Arcus to Taupo Condor Competition:
https://www.condor.club/comp/show/204/?id=649

2nd practice task this Thu. We start races Jan 20th. Flatland style flying over stunning scenery.
You can change glider during contest, as it is not possible in condor-club to set glider for whole contest yet. Hope for this feature some day.

Rgrds
P.

PS
@wickid: Just thinking loud - if Arcus should easily win in realistic weather, that mean index is not proper, or Arcus is... too good.
No matter where you go... There you are...

:::: Please use this envelope
to send me a PM.