Condor 3 feature requests

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

maymar

Re: Condor 3 feature requests

Post by maymar » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:41 pm

One more "if" in the code ;-)

As I remember when we turn off PDA it also turn off NMEA output.
That "if" is to have checkbox in NOTAM screen for turning off NMEA output without turning off PDA.

It's for this same chance to navigate on PDA that Condor have without external nav-comp during competition.

Wind Whisperer

Post by Wind Whisperer » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:27 pm

My request for future customers/newbies, since I wished, it would have been available for me, when I bought C2.
An option after purchasing the C2/C3 basic version Euro 49.99, for a period of time to be able to upgrade to the C2/C3 Pro version Euro 199.99.
For a newbie to drop Euro 199.99 right from the get-go without knowing if one likes the game or not, can be a tuff choice.
Giving a grace period (1-4 weeks) for a new customer to upgrade to the Pro version would be a graceful gesture and a great purchase option for the customer. Once the grace period is over, back to purchase your planes or other DLC's al carte.
Since Condor/Soaring is such a niche market, give newbies the opportunity to get their feet wet.
What an opportunity for a Climate-Friendly sport/sim to show up for the kids of the future (new pilots in RL). And the revival of the soaring sport from the 1980s. :wink:

grinvaldsjanis

Post by grinvaldsjanis » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:54 pm

sisu1a wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:58 pm
I see no issues with the distribution being kept in-house to avoid the 30% Steamtax... sailplane flying is a bit niche and Condor's high base and dlc prices ensure this game will always be a niche of a niche no matter where it's sold and that's fine too. There is little to nothing to be gained for the devs or community here, downloading and updating or running the game is a non issue and Steam solves problems no one is really having.
Niche? Probably You don't realize what is a niche before You check out those lists in categories as simulation, physics, racing, flight.
All the arguments against Steam could be correct if the own infrastructure and business model could be really well thought out. 1st and foremost, Condor lacks a demo. I bought X-plane11 immediately after trying it out. Condor waited 2 years before I bought it, mostly because I could not get my immersive experience - Youtube videos did not help much. X-plane had some 30min flight and then some widow popped out...not because it's not about flying Boeing or Cessna.
Ask people for email for news.
When someone got to the site - there should be a reasonable offer. Asking immediate price for the "cat in the bag" is not the best way to give it a chance for a page visitor. And discounts should be tried.

Steam is a marketplace - of course, You are paying for a table... or try to sell "potatoes from Your house window" to people who specially came to You because they are already interested...not like in steam where people discover Your product and would give it a try - taste it.

BTW XP11 sells it in both places.

Those features should be blended into one clear infrastructure/UI, also updating, downloading new scenes, planes. Editor bounded with Condor. The placement of 3D objects, correcting paint of the tree, water, thermal layer,...even leveling all could be in 3d.

So much could be done with multiplayer, to improve and increase involvement. Sometimes I have a feeling that Condor just doesn't want to grow because that brings other "problems". maybe it is not so but makes such a feeling.

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:18 pm

But what if Steam fails one day?
I think even if it's the trend Condor shouldn't be a cloudgame and get dependent on any central server.
Take Facebook's break down as example. (https://www.tagesspiegel.de/gesellschaf ... 76180.html) If such a server would brake down one day our community would loose this great simulator. I also have an example for exactly this scenario. The "free2play" flight simulator "Microsoft Flight" (2012) was a cloud based game/simulator. However, MS decided to stop the support of the game and shut down it's servers. From there on it can only be downloaded from 3rd party providers and DLCs are lost.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft ... ncellation)
If Condor stays an independent software we can continue playing Condor in it's full scope (online and offline), even if the Condor team would come to the deeply sad decision to stop the developement.
So I hope Condor will go it's own way, the way wich OXO described.

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:29 pm

Much more interesting are these topics:
---------------------------------------------------------
  • keep purchased gliders
  • weather update
  • real Vne viewtopic.php?f=39&t=20476
  • sloped runways_____________________________________________________________________________________________{point added on 02.01.2022}
  • radio communication
  • flying birds (thermalling and transiting in an realistic quantity)_____________________________________________{point added on 19.10.21}
    (also when thermal helper is disenabled)
    animals in scenery
  • FLARM
  • eventually electro-competition (like e2glide), electro-gliders
    FES/Jet for Ventus, Discus, Duo, JS (RES), LS8, DG1001, Arcus selflaunch
  • double seater features
  • option to fly gliders like ASK21 and Ka6 in club and school class (ASK 21 maybe also acro)_________________{point added on 28.10.21}
    or DG-1001 18m (acro version) in acro, school (if it should stay there) and multiseat class
  • more VR-support, even if we can be glad about the oculus support
Last edited by JShieck on Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 18 times in total.

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:01 pm

I think going to steam is not as easy grinvaldjanis is sketching. It is probably a lot of programming work as Condor is not designed to interface with steam. It will probably also not be plug and play code. There is only one guy coding condor. Adding steam will no doubt add significant time to the development. I think there is more important stuff to add...
PH-1504, KOE

grinvaldsjanis

Post by grinvaldsjanis » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:43 am

wickid wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:01 pm
I think going to steam is not as easy grinvaldjanis is sketching. It is probably a lot of programming work as Condor is not designed to interface with steam. It will probably also not be plug and play code. There is only one guy coding condor. Adding steam will no doubt add significant time to the development. I think there is more important stuff to add...
"There is only one guy coding condor" - no way! More important stuff. When You fly and there's an issue, the most important is to keep that thing flying, then other fancy stuff - hence, You need to care about the business "thermals" are lifting. It's not an early startup, and seems that not all things tried to make a product out of "niche". With 1 coder and no resources for business improvement sounds like an indy side-project... with just 2..4h per week to spare, and with no way out.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:58 am

grinvaldsjanis wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:43 am

"There is only one guy coding condor" - no way! More important stuff. When You fly and there's an issue, the most important is to keep that thing flying, then other fancy stuff - hence, You need to care about the business "thermals" are lifting. It's not an early startup, and seems that not all things tried to make a product out of "niche". With 1 coder and no resources for business improvement sounds like an indy side-project... with just 2..4h per week to spare, and with no way out.
OK, enough.

I will thank you now not to make any more assumptions about us.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

arneh

Post by arneh » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:24 am

JShieck wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:29 pm
[*]eventually electro-competition (like e2glide), electro-gliders
FES/Jet for Ventus, Discus, Duo, JS, LS8, DG1001, Arcus selflaunch
I would really like to see this!
Having electrical gliders and eglide competions would add a new and different competition format to Condor which could add quite a bit of interest!
Also would give more purpose to motorized (electric) gliders in Condor if they could use some power during competitions :)

congo

Post by congo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:42 am

Hi,

With due respect to those folks who would like to interface with Steam, I appreciate your reasons,
however, there is always a strong case for the KISS principle.
The current system is working just fine, with purchased product codes arriving in seconds,
and an online system that's reliable and functional.
Why add another layer of software and overhead, (or several layers in the case of Steam) ?

Making Condor2 a "convenient" Steam purchase along with any perceived Steam benefits to
new players will be quickly overshadowed by some harsh realities as soon as they begin
using the simulation.

Firstly, there is a steep learning curve, begun by an intricate setup of controls and graphics,
then there is the daunting task of adding third party scenery and finally, the frustration born
of competing with the experienced pilots.

There are many barriers to Condor2's mass appeal and ease of use, and any perceived benefits
Steam may add pale into insignificance when the whole is experienced.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
congo

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:28 pm

Another vote to avoid steam.

I'll just continue to backup the registry file with all my plane licenses in. Takes seconds to activate them all on re-install that way :mrgreen:
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Rotareneg

Post by Rotareneg » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:55 am

It'd be nice if you could right click on an airport in the flight planner and get the runway heading. Right now you just get the regular turnpoint properties with the coordinates and elevation.

Fabry

Post by Fabry » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:08 pm

Birds! it would be nice if when thermal helper is enabled at minimum range instead of red bubbles we could have some birds thermaling.
Fabry
FDS
ASW-19 N80SF

alioth

Post by alioth » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:56 pm

-Be able to choose the device sound you want to play condor.

I like to play condor in the front speakers and teamspeak in headset.
Condor only works with the default windows audio device, and you have to select that default device before starting condor.

It would be great to choose diferent sounds in diferent devices (like p3d does). Example, wind and general noise in front speakers, variommeter in vr headset.

-Be able to play condor in a window that is not in focus, with sound and joystick working (p3d can do it too).
So you can put xcsoar window in focus and use it without scripts and workarounds that never work well.

Thanks.
AMS.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:17 pm

alioth wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:56 pm
-Be able to play condor in a window that is not in focus, with sound and joystick working (p3d can do it too).
So you can put xcsoar window in focus and use it without scripts and workarounds that never work well.

+1

And not only for XCSoar. For many things. Being able to sent commands specifically to the Condor Window. If you do that now, Condor will crash. Also for not having loss off control accidents because of unexpected pop-up windows : Condor V2 - Fun Compilation #1 (GBO example)