Condor 3 feature requests

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Stormrider

Re: Condor 3 feature requests

Post by Stormrider » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:24 am

Another request which just came to mind, though fairly minor - it'd be nice if the game was available through Steam, and integrated with it. Would save a lot of entering codes for every plane each time I reinstall the game (which I've had to do a lot recently...)

Condor 2 in our group has been plagued by licensing issues where the 'devil's sink' comes in for some in the group, or people get disconnected just after start - let an experienced party handle all this stuff for you so you can concentrate on making the gameplay great!

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:34 am

Steam will never happen because our users will not want to pay the 30% extra which steam charges.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:10 pm

Stormrider wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:24 am
Another request which just came to mind, though fairly minor - it'd be nice if the game was available through Steam, and integrated with it. Would save a lot of entering codes for every plane each time I reinstall the game (which I've had to do a lot recently...)

Condor 2 in our group has been plagued by licensing issues where the 'devil's sink' comes in for some in the group, or people get disconnected just after start - let an experienced party handle all this stuff for you so you can concentrate on making the gameplay great!
Devil's sink can be a landscape issue as well as being caused by two people flying online with the same license key.

Just back up your Condor registry file before you reinstall. After reinstall and installing condor / updating run the backed up reg file, hey presto no need to enter license keys. If you change the install location of Condor post reinstall you'll have to edit the backed up registry file accordingly. I wonder if a tool could be added into Condor that'd make this backup easier for those who haven't used regedit?
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

alioth

Post by alioth » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:06 am

Cockpit builders:

We need two different commands, Open and Close, for some controls that are now only toggle, examples:
-Gear
-Water
-Smoke
Toggle mode is ok for keypads. But if you build a lever, you need the two positions command.

Arturo. AMS

Filgueiras

Post by Filgueiras » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:44 pm

It would be useful, a link "refly" in the final game menu dialog, when flying offline, besides "exit flight?"

This would save the time reloading landscape, it would be similar to "restart" online.

A little thing more: the colours selected for the messages in the screen corners should have strong contrast w/ white, light blue, frequently occurring there.

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:00 pm

The message colours are ok as they are, I think.
More contrast would make them too intrusive.

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:09 pm

Side thread as angle of attack indikator.
(enableable in settings)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faden_(Se ... eitenfaden

1352 / 5000
Übersetzungsergebnisse
A less common way of using the thread is as a side thread: [one or] two threads attached to the left and right of the instrument panel on the outside of the hood to show the angle of attack. With the help of the thread, the glider can, depending on the situation, be flown with the angle of attack of the best glide, the least sink, and safely with an angle of attack below the stall. Without a sideline, the pilot tries to use the airspeed indicator to fly with these angles of attack. The side thread, unlike the airspeed indicator, shows the angle of attack regardless of the load, water ballast, load factor and cable pull in the winch start.

To read off the side thread, markings are made on the hood (or on transparent adhesive tape) that show the positions at the stall, at the slightest sink and at the best glide. As with the bonnet thread, the movements of the side thread are greater than the changes in the angle of attack, which makes it easier to interpret. Of course, side threads and hood thread can be used at the same time. Since the side thread is very sensitive to the sliding angle, it is recommended to attach side threads on both sides of the hood.

Extensive examinations of the sideline were carried out and published by the Cologne Academic Aviation Group.
Source: Wikipedia Translated by Google Translator

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:34 pm

No
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Rotareneg

Post by Rotareneg » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:30 pm

A little dot on the center line above the yaw string for the Stemme might be nice as it's rather hard to tell if it's centered or not due to the pilot not being in the middle of the cockpit.

yuku

Post by yuku » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:37 am

I would like to add another request....
please make Condor 3 also available for Linux....

I switched to Linux about a year ago, but still need a Windows 10 partition (and license :)) just for Condor 2.
I've seen a couple of threads online of people trying to make Condor 2 work in Linux using i.e. Wine, but have never seen that anyone has really succeeded.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:27 pm

yuku wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:37 am
I would like to add another request....
please make Condor 3 also available for Linux....

I switched to Linux about a year ago, but still need a Windows 10 partition (and license :)) just for Condor 2.
I've seen a couple of threads online of people trying to make Condor 2 work in Linux using i.e. Wine, but have never seen that anyone has really succeeded.

No, and here is the reason:-
StatCounter-os_combined-ww-monthly-202009-202109.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

yuku

Post by yuku » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:32 pm

I understand your decision to not support other OS-es based on those figures....
can't blame a guy for hoping though :)

grinvaldsjanis

Post by grinvaldsjanis » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:33 pm

OXO wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:34 am
Steam will never happen because our users will not want to pay the 30% extra which steam charges.
Can not agree. Steam could double the userbase and usage, make easier access, updates, and installations of assets and broaden the business itself. Your concern about charging 30% more is relevant if You don't believe that Steam would work for You for growth.
6000+ simulators are in Steam. I would at least consult with Steam about the best strategies for the best outcome. I believe that Steam can surprise You in a good way so much that You'd regret each day not being there.

Then it could help with some community tools, like friending. It would be then possible to indicate friends in flight and many other things. Though, You could make Your own custom community features, connect with Condor club data, etc. Many really working things are invented long ago... I have not much experience, just from games like Planetside 2, Unreal Tournament.

Then I also would like to contribute with feature wishes:
1. In-game server list, with sophisticated filtering(even by classes, race types). The opening game from the web list, then closing it to make another connection is.....(bad word)
2. "Stable head" option. The head view stays horizontal, or minimally rolled/pitched while the glider is moving, it could resemble RL head stabilization. Maybe this option could be with a slider from 0 to 100 where 0 is the current FPV-camera movement with the glider, but 100 - stabilized with the horizontal plane. I believe that many could use at least 30...50% option...esp. those who have neck pain flying Condor.
3. Would be more naturally pleasing to have a 3D/particle grass appearing with the LOD principle. If You decide to use a new game engine, that might be a no-brainer.
4. Other player labels could be customizable by color and style, it should at least have outlined to make text contrasting with any background;
5. Please find UX/UI designer in the community who would help to make UI look as the game is from 21cent. Modern Material or Cupertino design patterns could be used. Flags(optionally) could be added, esp. for spec.mode.
6, Shadows from transparent clouds could become as transparent;
7. Don't know about the current cloud generator/engine, but maybe the "metaball" algorithm approach could help in some aspects for cloud shapes and also shadowing making clouds look denser(absorbing) or lighter(scattering).
8. Differentiate sounds of wind/washing, Vario, levers, clicks.
9. Customisable PDA. Maybe not as complex as XCS, but still with pages(max 10?) and infoboxes from a great collection like in XCS... resettable to default one, which would provide the same info as the original. Better thermal helper. More zoom levels... pan-able map. Heightmap could be generated for PDA and shaded as in XCS.
10. Helpers should display actual heights also for min. finish alt.
11. Current positions for spectators could be also shown by distance from finish + correction by DDH(MC0) x handicap. Much more convenient.

Stormrider

Post by Stormrider » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:32 pm

grinvaldsjanis wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:33 pm
OXO wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:34 am
Can not agree. Steam could double the userbase and usage, make easier access, updates, and installations of assets and broaden the business itself. Your concern about charging 30% more is relevant if You don't believe that Steam would work for You for growth.
6000+ simulators are in Steam. I would at least consult with Steam about the best strategies for the best outcome. I believe that Steam can surprise You in a good way so much that You'd regret each day not being there.
Not only that but the money saved in not having to implement a lot of the stuff in-house means you can save money, meaning the entire 30% doesn't have to be passed on to the customer.

sisu1a

Post by sisu1a » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:58 pm

I see no issues with the distribution being kept in-house to avoid the 30% Steamtax... sailplane flying is a bit niche and Condor's high base and dlc prices ensure this game will always be a niche of a niche no matter where it's sold and that's fine too. There is little to nothing to be gained for the devs or community here, downloading and updating or running the game is a non issue and Steam solves problems no one is really having.

What is not fine is hitching VR support to Oculus/Facebook. VR needs to be 100% decoupled from that garbage company... and to reiterate on a long standing misconception using OpenVR (or OpenXR) has nothing do to with selling on Steam.

My only real wish for C2 and of course for C3 is to switch to OpenVR already... no other VR support is needed because every viable hmd out there can run it without issues or relying on 3rd party hacks that compromise the experience. Making VR a non hostile environment would definitely increase the player base though, I no longer play (or pay) anymore and I've already seen tons of interested/equipped folks walk away waiting for this to be resolved.