Condor 3 feature requests

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

jmcoursi

Re: Condor 3 feature requests

Post by jmcoursi » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:30 pm

Will there be valley winds in condor3,
so that you can fly in the morning in the alps on the east slopes and in the evening on the west slopes without having a dominating supraregional wind ?
+1. +1000 if I can. Flying in my region (Grenoble) is not realistic at all. Weather and thermals are dominated by valley winds, and confluences IRL.
Thanks !

Michelada

Post by Michelada » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:06 pm

Wing loading used for the flight should be exported to .IGC files. That would be useful in some special competitions where a wing loading limit could be specified.

Post by 6266 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:35 pm

It is in the igc-file

LCONFPL[Plane]
LCONFPLClass=All
LCONFPLName=LS3a
LCONFPLWater=149
LCONFPLFixedMass=0
LCONFPLCGBias=0

Ok, it's not the wing loading, but you can calculate it out of the ballast
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:40 pm

Michelada wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:06 pm
Wing loading used for the flight should be exported to .IGC files. That would be useful in some special competitions where a wing loading limit could be specified.
Until then, there is already enough information in the IGC file to compute the wing loading :
LCONFPLWater=
LCONFPLFixedMass=
Add that to the reference mass you can compute from the flight plannner summary or take from the polar files for XCSoar, LK8000, etc. available there : http://condorutill.fr/index.php#Polars
PolarDryMass=
WingArea=
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:23 am

wickid wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:42 pm
6266 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:34 pm
Petrucci14 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:27 am
- Full ballast as default.
then you solv one problem with another one. On tasks with limited weight (FAI f.x.) you will start with to much ballast if you forget to modify. Better if you can safe the actual setup for the next flight for each plane. That can happen automatically, so you start each plane with the last used setup
What is wrong with having it being default empty? That is also how you find the plane in hangar/trailer in real life. The advantage of Condor is not having to drag around 8 canisters of water. :lol: . I know that we almost always fly full ballast, but I understand the developers choice of having it empty by default.

This is once again one of those areas where the "purpose" of Condor is very important. When you say "I know that we almost always fly full ballast" - I think what you mean is something along the lines of "Those of use flying in Condor competitions always use ballast". Remember that there is an entire subset of the Condor user base that use Condor for training / instruction. Also, here in the US, there are many real life contest and entire clubs where ballast is not allowed.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

Post by 6266 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:07 am

To set a thermal task in flat land gets a very different weather depending of the height of the airfield. Cloud base over ground may be the same, but inversion height and cloud density is very different. Looks like it's calculated with a cloud base over sea level. Usually higher cloud base means less cloud density.

In higher regions (airport is 2000 m high, region is flat) you get a combination of cloud base and cloud density not flyable for the Grunau Baby or other slow planes.

Maybe it's possible to change this behavior, calculate the clouds on AGL not ASL

Clouds over Tallinn (airport is at sea level)
tallinn.jpg
Clouds over Black Forest Gliderport (airport is higher than 2000 m)
gliderport.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

nicnac211

Post by nicnac211 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:13 pm

I am not sure if someone has said this already, apologies if so, but the STOP JOIN feature needs to be revised.
There is nothing more punitive than joining a game only for the game to prevent you from joining.

It should be optional (or removed altogether)

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:34 pm

nicnac211 wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:13 pm
I am not sure if someone has said this already, apologies if so, but the STOP JOIN feature needs to be revised.
There is nothing more punitive than joining a game only for the game to prevent you from joining.

It should be optional (or removed altogether)
I proposed a solution to this earlier in this topic. I hope it will be picked up: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20863&p=179158#p179156
PH-1504, KOE

juro

Post by juro » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:31 am

I wish the landscape editor would work in 3d mode in the altitude mode. Like the maptool for old Il-2 Sturmovik. By hitting Space key you shift into 3d view and with the move of the mouse the cursor jumps from point to point in 30m increments, allowing to alter the altitude of every point by rolling the mouse wheel.

Now, improving the top of the mountain peak, castle hill or a quarry is quite a sucky job when one has to change individual heights and then check it from the cockpit in game. Also lanczos reprojection, while giving sharper terrain, produces here and there blisters which could be found and fixed quickly.

Thx, J

hess8

Post by hess8 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:39 pm

Please allow some control of the winch in Condor tasks. This would allow lots of realistic training that would improve winch safety training in real life.

Most important:
Tension/weight ratio variable (0.1 to 2.0), ideally a profile of T/W settings over the phases of flight.
Rope length variable (the winch doesn't even have to be placed on the airport proper), so this could be very long.

Less urgent
Probability of winch losing power slowly...it's not the same scenario as a rope break. Could also specify rate of power loss

Live winch driver controlling winch power by joystick, keys.

Thanks.

hess8

Post by hess8 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:51 pm

OLC type scoring and tasks

Most RL soaring flights worldwide are OLC scored flights. Condor should allow a group of pilots to fly these kinds of flights together, and score them with OLC+ type scoring. Tasks could specify a geometric area to fly in and a time limit, and a possible penalty for landing somewhere other than the start airport.

johngfoster

Post by johngfoster » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:34 am

One of the most annoying things in Condor2 when using VR is if your VR goggles go to sleep, either when pushing PAUSE, or if you just land at an airport, and come back later to restart the task, you can't reconnect the VR goggles. All you see is a black screen. I realize this is potentially a two-part issue where we are also dealing with a possible problem with the VR goggles, but is there any way that Condor 3 can be set up so this is no longer an issue? It would be GREATLY appreciated. Maybe there is a fix now that I don't know about, so I'm all ears.

Kekelekou

Post by Kekelekou » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:27 pm

Here is an idea about improving the "flying with ghosts" experience :

Ghost flight tracks are generated from online events with long pre-flight waiting times to allow all pilots to join.
The offline pilot is interested in taking off at the same time as the ghosts, but as soon as he/she hits the "Fly" button.

As of now, shifting the offline start-time would result in a different weather because the start-time also defines the seed-time which impacts how the thermals are generated. Different start-times = different seed-times = different weather = little use of ghosts.
The only solution is for the offline pilot to join the 3D world as defined from the flight plan, and wait as long the ghosts did until the flight really starts. Having to waiting as long as 30 min before taking-off does not sound like a satisfying option.

A way to solve the inconcistency between these "seed times" would be to define (for a given task) :
- a "seed start time" setting the weather parameters and that couldn't be changed. This parameter should be stored in the fpl file
and
- a "task join time" that would give the hour of the day at which the player connects into the 3D world, and that could be adjusted by the player in the "free flight" menu

So the weather engine would rely on a parameter which is independent from the time the player joins. Problem solved! :lol:

I have little idea about the feasability of this feature into Condor 3, but hey, it is never too late to share one's thoughts.

ryanwoodie

Post by ryanwoodie » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:06 am

shifting the offline start-time would result in a different weather because the start-time also defines the seed-time
My experience is that shifting the start-time doesn't change the weather, it only shifts the ghost position slightly so that it is a little (10 to 100m?) out of sync in position. I find it still works to race ghosts with an edited start time, but I can't rely on them to help immediately center thermals. It might be more of a bug-fix or accuracy improvement than anything.
idea about improving the "flying with ghosts" experience
To expand on this, and I don't know if there are any plans to bring multiplayer tasks and matchmaking into the "in-game" UI, maybe it would be an interesting feature in Condor 3 to have asynchronous races and competitions. These could utilize a database (condor.club?) of tasks with ghosts that one can "quick race" against on-demand. Perhaps even the ghosts could be selected to match with the pilot's current skill level.

More generally, I recall a sentiment (I think in the context of the notion of Condor being released on Steam), that Condor will inevitably appeal to only a very niche audience. This could well be the case, but it strikes me at the same time, that Condor has an extremely compelling core competitive sporting/gaming experience to offer, once one gets into it far enough (ie. what other type of sim racing has such an incredible combination of strategy, tactics, and skill?). I am curious if there are areas like the above (ease of finding and practicing races, matchmaking, etc.) in addition to an effective tutorial and training progression, that create an engaging initial user experience to help more clearly and smoothly onboard new users or non-pilots into the thrill of competitive racing, making it accessible to a wider market.

Unrelated, but while I am on this thread, it would be amazing to have interactive cockpit controls in VR (like Aerofly FS does). Could really enhance the sim for training purposes.

Mikko

Post by Mikko » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:27 am

johngfoster wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:34 am
One of the most annoying things in Condor2 when using VR is if your VR goggles go to sleep, either when pushing PAUSE, or if you just land at an airport, and come back later to restart the task, you can't reconnect the VR goggles. All you see is a black screen. I realize this is potentially a two-part issue where we are also dealing with a possible problem with the VR goggles, but is there any way that Condor 3 can be set up so this is no longer an issue? It would be GREATLY appreciated. Maybe there is a fix now that I don't know about, so I'm all ears.
Check if the headset has a proximity sensor between the lenses. Put a small piece of tape on it and the headset won't go to sleep mode.

Br,

Mikko