Condor 3 feature requests

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

arneh

Re: Condor 3 feature requests

Post by arneh » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:24 pm

BOD1 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:50 pm
I released an update on CC: when adding a task, author can choose between DAeC and IGC index for scoring. Existing 20m class tasks have already been set to "use DAeC".
Thanks, that is the best solution!

zpqrtbnk

Post by zpqrtbnk » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 pm

I have emailed support about this and maybe it was not a good idea. Sorry. Better post here.

I'd like to see Condor publish the NMEA data on something else that a COM port - say, along with the UDP data, or something. The COM port forces anyone who does not run an actual device, but for instance XCSoar on a tablet or a separate screen, to run an additional COM-to-COM or COM-to-IP thing, and these things are a pain. Technically, they are Windows drivers, which need to be signed. End result, no way XCSoar could ever embed one of them. Whereas, if NMEA data were available, say via UDP, it could become possible to patch XCSoar to directly read them, because everything happens in user land, not kernel land.

Edit: the COM thing has been discussed a few pages above... with the idea of embedding for instance VSPE in Condor... but I am wondering whether this will make things more complicated...

On and then, yes, +1 for an option to remove Condor's PDA and still publish NMEA data. These 2 things seem technically not crazy expensive to implement? Of course, a plugin system where XCSoar could show on the PDA, as others have proposed, would be nice and fancy, but seems technically way more expensive to implement.

wickid

Post by wickid » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:34 pm

zpqrtbnk wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 pm
I have emailed support about this and maybe it was not a good idea. Sorry. Better post here.

I'd like to see Condor publish the NMEA data on something else that a COM port - say, along with the UDP data, or something. The COM port forces anyone who does not run an actual device, but for instance XCSoar on a tablet or a separate screen, to run an additional COM-to-COM or COM-to-IP thing, and these things are a pain. Technically, they are Windows drivers, which need to be signed. End result, no way XCSoar could ever embed one of them. Whereas, if NMEA data were available, say via UDP, it could become possible to patch XCSoar to directly read them, because everything happens in user land, not kernel land.

Edit: the COM thing has been discussed a few pages above... with the idea of embedding for instance VSPE in Condor... but I am wondering whether this will make things more complicated...

On and then, yes, +1 for an option to remove Condor's PDA and still publish NMEA data. These 2 things seem technically not crazy expensive to implement? Of course, a plugin system where XCSoar could show on the PDA, as others have proposed, would be nice and fancy, but seems technically way more expensive to implement.
NMEA is disabled on no PDA tasks to prevent cheating. No PDA means no PDA, so also no external one. The reason why NMEA and UDP are split is that you can still drive external instruments with UDP when NMEA is disabled.
PH-1504, KOE

zpqrtbnk

Post by zpqrtbnk » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:24 am

NMEA is disabled on no PDA tasks to prevent cheating.
Did not think about this and it makes plenty of sense. Thanks for the explaination.

Maybe... include NMEA with UDP only when PDA is enabled? Yea, more "ifs" in the code ;)

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:20 am

wickid wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:34 pm
zpqrtbnk wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 pm

NMEA is disabled on no PDA tasks to prevent cheating. No PDA means no PDA, so also no external one. The reason why NMEA and UDP are split is that you can still drive external instruments with UDP when NMEA is disabled.

This is yet another example of where the two worlds of Condor users collide - I would love to see more thought put into solving some of these issues.

There is definitely a very vibrant and vocal group of Condor users (that probably even make up the majority of users), that use Condor as a competitive online gaming / soaring "game" or simulation. It is a competitive platform - and in this mode, it should remain a competitive platform.

However, there is also a less vocal, but I would argue, equally important group of users that use Condor as a training / learning tool.

I would love to be able to disable the in-game PDA - yet still allow it to transmit NMEA data so that I can use Condor as a tool to help me get acquainted with my own mobile PDA (which only works when broadcasting data using the NMEA feature of Condor). It is not fair to punish legitimate users of features that could help in training just to prevent online "cheaters". This seems like an easy problem to solve - maybe have an option to disable NMEA for online flying? I don't need online flying when I am teaching myself to use my own personal PDA flying local only tasks.

I hope this is something the devs can keep in mind while finalizing the feature set of the 3.x roadmap.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

Post by 6266 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:47 am

bluefang wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:20 am
... I would love to be able to disable the in-game PDA - yet still allow it to transmit NMEA data so that I can use Condor as a tool to help me get acquainted with my own mobile PDA (which only works when broadcasting data using the NMEA feature of Condor). It is not fair to punish legitimate users of features that could help in training just to prevent online "cheaters". This seems like an easy problem to solve - maybe have an option to disable NMEA for online flying? I don't need online flying when I am teaching myself to use my own personal PDA flying local only tasks...
I think it's not enough to seperate online and offline flying, because it's possible to compete offline too.

I would solve this problem with an option for the user to hide the PDA, same as to use ballast or not. If the task allows PDA you can decide to use it or not, but if the task doesn't allow it, there is no chance to use it. With allowed PDA exists NMEA output, else not, as it is today.

BTW: What is the problem with the activated PDA in your case of training? You don't have to look at it. Or is there something else disturbing?
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

zpqrtbnk

Post by zpqrtbnk » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:24 pm

What is the problem with the activated PDA in your case of training? You don't have to look at it. Or is there something else disturbing?
TBH, there was no problem, just a surprise and, because I could not find a reason for it, I asked the question.

Got a nice answer, which makes plenty of sense, I'm happy to -1 my +1 ;)

For disabling the PDA and NMEA independently, that is. Still think that having NMEA on UDP, when NMEA is enabled, would be cool.

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:02 am

6266 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:47 am
bluefang wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:20 am

BTW: What is the problem with the activated PDA in your case of training? You don't have to look at it. Or is there something else disturbing?
It is just nice to have the option to remove the virtual PDA from the cockpit so that you are forced to use the hardware PDA. I have found myself still mostly relying on the virtual PDA if it is visible - even when trying to train myself to use my new hardware PDA.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

Stormrider

Post by Stormrider » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:52 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but for cockpit builders it'd be nice to have support for key bindings for individual actions rather than toggles

eg, instead of a single key binding for 'toggle gear', it'd be good to have one for 'gear up' and one for 'gear down' as well - that way the game can't get out of sync with the position of physical controls in the same way like it can with toggle only. This applies to anywhere currently that only has a toggle (Water, smoke, possibly some others...)

Stormrider

Post by Stormrider » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:02 pm

Stormrider wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:52 pm
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but for cockpit builders it'd be nice to have support for key bindings for individual actions rather than toggles

eg, instead of a single key binding for 'toggle gear', it'd be good to have one for 'gear up' and one for 'gear down' as well - that way the game can't get out of sync with the position of physical controls in the same way like it can with toggle only. This applies to anywhere currently that only has a toggle (Water, smoke, possibly some others...)
On the subject of key bindings, another one I thought of - please add a 'Prev PDA screen' button to matche the 'Next PDA screen' one! I would love to use a 4 way hat on my controller to control the PDA (forward/back page, zoom in/out) but the lack of a previous button prevents me currently. I hope that panning the map or heatmap screens will be supported in the future too and I can map another POV hat to that!

eRock

Post by eRock » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:14 pm

Not sure if V3 would be true 64bits so all PC and video memory could be fully utilised.

cheers!

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:44 am

witor wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:45 pm
Changing the handicap coefficients after the competition makes no sense what's so ever. Pilots chose their gliders based on the indexes at that time so why should they be retrospectively penalised? In general law newer works backwards.

Lets just stick to what people would like to see in C3 and who knows maybe if we come up with something good the developers will think about implementing it - that was the idea behind this topic.
As a suggestion off the back of all the talk of handicap I agree with you Witor. In Condor for club class and 20m multiseat gliders I'd like to have visibility on the IGC handicap values. Also when Condor is scoring a task I wish Condor to output the results based on whatever handicap is chosen, this could be set when creating a task. For Club class and 20m multiseat there should be the option for Condor to score using IGC handicaps. For 15m, 18m and open class there should be the option to score with DAEC or no handicap, as per 15m and 18m class comp results.

I know you can currently upload to CC and it handle this but I think it'd be better if Condor itself could take care of this and give the results based on whichever handicap is chosen.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

JLN

Post by JLN » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:23 am

Condor 2 is fantastic but I have some wishes for condor 3 :

On the GUI :

In the task screen
Replace the Zoom in/ out commands by a + an a - button as in google map.
The top for me would be the ability do draw a route and have it after in the PDA.

In the analyse flight screen
Same +/- button as in task screen.
Have the ability to move the map as in the task screen.

In the PDA
Have the names of the TP reduced by the zoom as the map when zooming out (and as large than now in the max zoom in).
Have a semi transparent arrow showing the wind direction (and strength) on the map.
have the possibility of way up instead of north up.

Inputs
Use the wheel brake by a slider instead of a button (so I coud use it whith my pedals)-not very usefull but more realistic...

Other
Have the ability to hide "start gate closes ..." only - because have this in front of you for one hour sometimes is very long... but show the flaps change is usefull.
Also have the last replay kept as the last track
And have the "View Replay" have the commands panel (play pause etc) on the screen the first time and not always the second one.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:16 pm

JLN wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:23 am
Condor 2 is fantastic but I have some wishes for condor 3 :

On the GUI :

The top for me would be the ability do draw a route and have it after in the PDA.
You can do this already. I'll PM you.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

emccarthy556

Post by emccarthy556 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:49 pm

It would be great if you could pull in weather data from somewhere like windy.com or perhaps their source. They cover the entire planet with weather data:
  • Thermals vs time
    Temperatures vs altitude and time
    winds vs altitudes and time
Example southern California and Arizona thermals for today
https://www.windy.com/-Thermals-ccl?ccl ... ,m:eA1acUb

or Switzerland tomorrow:
https://www.windy.com/-Thermals-ccl?ccl ... ,m:eWHagos