Autopilot

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Fingers

Autopilot

Post by Fingers » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Don't want to be controversial, being the new guy.

But I am not sure about this autopilot. I get it's an online pause, but it looks like it puts it in perfect min sink glide.

Do sail planes actually have this?

wickid

Re: Autopilot

Post by wickid » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:06 pm

No, but otherwise we can't go to the toilet... It is a bit weird to sit in the living room with a bottle or a Urinary-Catheter
PH-1504, KOE

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:37 pm

wickid wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:06 pm
No, but otherwise we can't go to the toilet... It is a bit weird to sit in the living room with a bottle or a Urinary-Catheter
Granted, but when its being used for every single glide? How about limiting its use to say 10 mins during a flight, more than enough time for any motions or movements one may get caught short with. If it was up to me it would not be available at all.

Maintaining height at the fastest possible speed requires skill, the art, the essence of gliding.

Post by 6266 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:04 pm

Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:24 pm

Fingers wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 pm
I get it's an online pause, but it looks like it puts it in perfect min sink glide.
I beg to differ, it puts it in the glide at the speed resulting of the CofG and trimmer settings
... which means that on gliders like the EB29R, you may find bits of plastic scattered along the countryside when returning from your bathroom trip, because the glider tested flutter (been there, done that)

During transitions, if you want to fly optimally, you still have to adjust the speed (and possibly flaps) according to the indications of the flight director, so it's not such a big advantage IMHO
... and, besides that, it may bring some comfort for ageing joints on long flights :wink:
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:41 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:24 pm
Fingers wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:36 pm
I get it's an online pause, but it looks like it puts it in perfect min sink glide.
I beg to differ, it puts it in the glide at the speed resulting of the CofG and trimmer settings
... which means that on gliders like the EB29R, you may find bits of plastic scattered along the countryside when returning from your bathroom trip, because the glider tested flutter (been there, done that)

During transitions, if you want to fly optimally, you still have to adjust the speed (and possibly flaps) according to the indications of the flight director, so it's not such a big advantage IMHO
... and, besides that, it may bring some comfort for ageing joints on long flights :wink:
Ahhh, OK. I have to say I have not used it online, just going from watching YT. So it is not controlling speed, flaps or elevator, is it just keeping the wings level?

wickid

Post by wickid » Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:53 pm

Yep, wings level and trimmed speed. Nothing more. And it doesn't keep direction. If you fly through a thermal and one wing gets lifted it will slowly turn until you are back in smooth air.
PH-1504, KOE