New guy, couple of questions please.

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Fingers

New guy, couple of questions please.

Post by Fingers » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:07 pm

Hello Folks

Just found this sim at the weekend, have to say I am impressed. As an ex Paraglider and occasional trys in a Sailplane this is doing what I would instinctively expect the ridge lift and thermals to be doing. On top of that in VR it is utterly Fantastic, smooth as butter! Great job.

Only put about 6-8 hours in so far, so much to explore and discover. Not jumped into an online session yet but downloaded 5 of the Flight tracks from the Condor Club and had a fly around with the ghosts for 20 mins this morning. I am guessing whilst the weather conditions will be the same it will not be exactly the same when the race took place as far as where and when thermals develop?

The other question is can the names on top of the plane be taken off? Sort of spoils the immersion.

Thanks for now.

Steve

Rotareneg

Re: New guy, couple of questions please.

Post by Rotareneg » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:47 pm

"*" key on numpad toggles the labels on/off.

Ghosts from online tasks can be a bit tricky to fly with offline because the weather begins evolving when the simulation starts, not when the task starts. When a task is run offline you just get the start timer before the start sector opens. When a task is run online there'll also be an additional join time for people to connect to the server, then an indeterminate amount of time for all planes to get into the air if the task doesn't start in the air already, and only then does the start timer begin counting.

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:04 pm

Cheers Rotareneg

Looks like you can set the Start time window to be the same as the race, 60 mins in the example below. If that may make a difference?

But does it replay the exact weather, wind and thermals on that race or does it set the same conditions, and the weather is run afresh. So what you have is the 5 ghosts just super imposed into your new weather system. I have not tried this out as not had time yet but if the gaggle is thermaling up and your going down in the same gaggle, this would be the test.

https://www.condor.club/comp/showtask/208/?id=18580

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:45 pm

The problem is that there is a jointime online which you don't have offline. For example the ghosts may have been flying around for 20 minutes or so before the start line opens. The weather should replay the same unless "randomize weather on each flight" is checked. This generates similar weather but not exactly the same (thermals in different places at different times)
PH-1504, KOE