AI Autopilot makes a 8000km 38hour flight possible

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

wickid

Re: AI Autopilot makes a 8000km 38hour flight possible

Post by wickid » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:48 am

alexvinckier wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:37 am
It is in discussion to remove those flights. Or move it to a special category.

I understand the commotion, and indeed there needs to be a fair playing field.

Anyway, i believe it is an achievement worth sharing. And I hope I can continue sharing it.
But the sharing must indeed be done without disturbing the competitive part of the condor community.

One note, I will never share this app, as i would have issues with royalties. But I am more than willing to demo it at certain events
Yes, please keep sharing your progress. I'm very impressed! Thank you for understanding our concerns!
EDB wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:43 am
wickid wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:21 am
It is obviously unfair as the ability to fly at night is not possible with a human pilot.
Well, it is possible. On 10 and 11 July 1937, J.K. Hoekstra set the current Dutch endurance record of 24 hours and 3 minutes.
His avarage altitude was 30 meters...

But it is illegal with the current flight rules...

And as far as I know there is also a longer (Swiss?) world record... Too lazy to search for it now...

This Condor record is indeed a great AI achievement... With the understandable concerns of the Condor Competition Community...
I meant in Condor. The problem is Condor goes completely dark at night. You only see the PDA.
PH-1504, KOE

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:54 am

Check...
8)

Post by 6266 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:55 am

I tried it in Norway, it's dark there in Condor, but not in RL ;-)
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:56 am

In Condor 1 you could create lights on the ground. You only need one good ridge ..
8)

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:00 am

EDB wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:56 am
In Condor 1 you could create lights on the ground. You only need one good ridge ..
8)
Or Alex' autopilot :lol:
PH-1504, KOE

Post by 6266 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:26 am

If I remember the story about Ernst Jachtmann right, I read it more than 40 years ago, they used the light of cars at the coast. But Devs, we don't need cars in Condor now ;-)

alexvinckier

Post by alexvinckier » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:23 pm

Well if condor will allow a higher number of waypoints, then i will beat the 56 hour record
:twisted:

Will investigate if it can be livestreamed for those who want to follow

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:44 pm

alexvinckier wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:23 pm
Well if condor will allow a higher number of waypoints, then i will beat the 56 hour record

Depending on how good your autopilot is at flying low ridges, tasks up to 10.000 km are possible in AA2. For example 6x out and return Mariazell to Serres is 9932 km. But you would have to fly a curved path because it crossed the Po flats. At 200 kph that would take you almost 50 hours. And it is stretchable by maybe 100 km on both sides depending on how low ridges you can accept or by leaving the high mountains at altitude so you can glide to the tp and back to the good ridges again. So that would gain you another 2000 km or so.
PH-1504, KOE

Post by 6266 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:14 pm

alexvinckier wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:23 pm

Take a slower plane, then you don't need more way points, there are some nice wooden planes available, Grunau Baby is included in basic package. 8000 km with 100 km/h average speed are 80 hours, enough?

JeffSmith

Post by JeffSmith » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:00 am

Hi Alex
I would like to see HAL fly from King Shaka to Port Nolloth on the TranZA landscape.
East to West or West to East, there and back, that would be really impressive.
I wonder how HAL finds a thermal? Googles political meetings? :-)
Have you had any requests for info from SkyNet / Titan?
Cheers Jeff

ONDRYS

Post by ONDRYS » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:07 pm

Well done! :roll: :shock:
I thought that Condor is realistic simulator for multiplayer gliding.
Condor planes haven't got terrain radar and they haven't got included night vision and also haven't got next gen autopilot.
So I have to say you CONGRATULATION if you think that this is a best way to be a CONDOR STAR 8)
:roll:

Petrucci14

Post by Petrucci14 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:37 am

Putting these flights on Condor Club is like going to Vatican City dressed like Satan.
You are really playing with fire here.
Although, it is impressive in a way, it is also potentially harming. As far as I am aware there were some cheat softwares for C1. I am not aware of any for C2 (maybe COTASA is sort of cheating as it is an external software with an artificial horizont most importantly but the majority of people use it nowadays).
In my opinion this is a "cheat engine" if I view it as a competition pilot and on the official Condor forum I cannot do otherwise. I would not even allow the autopilot we currently have because some people abuse it. Gliding should be a very pure form of flying where the pilot makes the difference.
Obviously, you are proud of your creation and you very well should be. Just not here. The timing as well (as mentioned before) is awful as Condor seems to be "levelling up" in the world of esports as not long from now an official FAI competition will take place, where stakes are high. Probably for the first time since Condor was created.

Fingers

Post by Fingers » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:04 pm

As someone who just bought this sim, this is depressing to learn. I was looking forward to online competitions, whats the point when there are cheats out there.

There is tech to do all manner of mischief in the world, if people have not got the good morals to stop themselves someone has to step in to do so.

I sim race in IRacing, they have anti cheat software implemented so every one knows they are on the same footing. They also ban people from the service for intentional bad driving, abusing fellow drivers, or braking the rules.

The gliding community is such a small group, the makers of this sim or the people running the servers may not be able to stop this. But the cheats will I am sure be quickly called out and dealt with by the community, no one likes a low down cheat.

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:19 am

I truly don't understand the animosity towards the development of this tech.

It is only cheating if it is used to, well, cheat in a Condor competition - and the author has clearly stated he has no intention to do so.

All online video games have to deal with this. This has to be dealt with in Chess, this has to be dealt with in Starcraft, this has to be dealt with in League of Legends, etc..

If it truly becomes a problem, surely the devs can figure out a way to prevent the abuse in competitions.

I think this is an awesome technology achievement - and I don't understand anyone who suddenly thinks the world is going to end because an AI engine (commonly referred to as "bots") has been developed for their favorite game. If you are truly paranoid, simply fly only with people you know and trust.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180973430/

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

Rotareneg

Post by Rotareneg » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:03 am

Unless people have seriously been competing for a Condor record of longest flight without getting up out of their chair for any reason, including bathroom or sleep, I don't really see this being much of an issue...