JanisTeteris

Re: 1st Virtual Sailplane Grand Prix - World Final 2021

Post by JanisTeteris » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:33 pm

Open servers without a password - at least some solution

maymar

Post by maymar » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:38 pm

Official protest
Pilots who wanted to fly on the servers at 20:00 UTC on the 3rd day of the competition received incorrect passwords, therefore they could not log into the servers.
I tried to get in touch with the organizers by submitting PM to "FAI Sailplane Grand Prix" and "Bre901" on Condor-Club, I wrote in YT live chat - I wrote to Bre901 on twitch on live stream, I sent PM to "havet865" - no reaction from the organizer.
Therefore, to be fair to other pilots taking part in VSGP "Open", I am requesting that day 3 of VSGP Open be canceled.

Jarmo K

Post by Jarmo K » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:43 pm

now server open & pw accepted

Jarmo K

Post by Jarmo K » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:04 am

and because 1h server delay, ftr upload time is closed... blaah
(I was very slow though, so points anyway)

Fedir

Post by Fedir » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:07 am

Due to password invalid issue on servers at 20:00 UTC we had in fact delayed starts and also delayed finish times - how can we upload our FTR tracks? Because in our briefing was stated that "Zapisy lotu mogą być przesłane od 7 września 2021 o 20:00 UTC do 8 września 2021 o 00:00 UTC" Thank you!

Post by 6266 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:33 am

So, server started 50 minutes later, I finished now, 0:27 UTC, can't upload the ftr-file because it's too late
FAIGP.png
I have the ftr-file here, go to bed now and expect that this will be solved tomorrow without problems ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
24 landscapes with free available textures, newest: AlpsE

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

JanisTeteris

Post by JanisTeteris » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 am

Yes, unfortunately the exact same problem.

havet865

Post by havet865 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:50 am

maymar wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:38 pm
Official protest
Pilots who wanted to fly on the servers at 20:00 UTC on the 3rd day of the competition received incorrect passwords, therefore they could not log into the servers.
I tried to get in touch with the organizers by submitting PM to "FAI Sailplane Grand Prix" and "Bre901" on Condor-Club, I wrote in YT live chat - I wrote to Bre901 on twitch on live stream, I sent PM to "havet865" - no reaction from the organizer.
Therefore, to be fair to other pilots taking part in VSGP "Open", I am requesting that day 3 of VSGP Open be canceled.
Hello everyone,

Thanks for your messages and patience.

I’ve been well aware of the issue and received probably 50 messages in 5 minutes yesterday evening. Instead of replying to you one by one to say nothing, I spent a lot of time on the phone with several people from the team and with the CondorClub team as well, to find a solution.

We could not restart the servers immediately and it took approximately 30 to 40 minutes to do so. With new password sent via Condor.Club.

We are still evaluating the right decision to take : keep it as it is, go for only the 6 best results (instead of 7) or cancel the day for everyone.

We will get back to you later today, and decision will be announced at the briefing as well.

Thanks for your understanding and sorry for the inconvenience ! We will try to make it not happen again :-)

FYI : we are receiving between 40 to 100 messages per day. They are all read and acknowledged, and we are talking about the main issues every evening at the briefing in the additional info slide.. and trying to make the appropriate changes if they are fair ;-)

Wishing you a very nice day,

Antoine Havet & the Team

JanisTeteris

Post by JanisTeteris » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:51 am

Good afternoon.
I have driving a rally (and I have enjoyed what I would recommend to myself) - maybe this can be included in the regulations of future races.
Canceling the results of the race day would be too unfair to those participants for whom the servers worked normally.
In order to distribute the results fairly (this is not possible :) ), you could take the previous day's leader's result, compare with today's, calculate the odds, take the participant's previous day's result - and calculate the time by which this participant could potentially fly today's task.
In a rally with a canceled stage (some participants already have a result) the other participants are given the same time, which is usually the result of the participant who last successfully completed the stage (or the race commissioner chooses from the last three results from those who have completed the stage normally) .
This would allow participants who had such conditions as a force majeure not to lose their results.
You can always manage to put zero in the results. :)
IMHO

Jarmo K

Post by Jarmo K » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:20 am

There is at least 2 results in cc from that 20UTC server, how they managed to get on list :shock:

edit: and yes, I sent my ftr & igc to comp organization after waking up after very, very long night, but not counted in results so far.

edit2: they changed rules also for official race: originally no AH or Gimball compass were allowed, but now even CoTaSA is accepted. So good that flexibility exists, especially with very first competition. Maybe 6/7 solution would be the most fair for those who couldn't have possibility to wait later.

br,
Jarmo
Last edited by Jarmo K on Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

wickid

Post by wickid » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:20 am

If you read the rules:

Part 8 section f:
Valid Day - a Day shall be counted as a SGP Day if:
(i) A launch opportunity has been given to each competitor in time for the
competitor to carry out the task of the Day in question, and
(ii) At least one competitor has completed the task.
Point 1 has not been met. Ie. Day is invalid and should be scored with 0 points for everyone.
PH-1504, KOE

JanisTeteris

Post by JanisTeteris » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:25 am

That is why there is a sports commissioner who can make a decision that is different from the regulations, but fairer to the athletes and their results.
Because this is obviously the case for the first time.
And it is not possible to put all such cases in the regulations - then the regulations will be in the thickness of Dima "Three Muscaters", and no one will read him.
This regulation is also taken from the real world and is suitable for the virtual.
Only in the real world does one race take place with the ONLY ONE start time.
Why cancel results for participants whose servers were running normally?
If it had been done at a time when NO participant had finished - OK, then it could still be accepted.

JanisTeteris

Post by JanisTeteris » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:26 am

Sorry - Google Translate - but I hope you understand.

JanisTeteris

Post by JanisTeteris » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:37 am

To wickid:
What would you say if our server (20: 00UTC) had also run normally, but it would have happened with the D + 1 14: 00UTC server, where only 5 participants fly?
You go to bed with the thought that you have done everything - it was a good flight, the file was sent. And so do 378 participants. And then suddenly a message arrives that all this is canceled just because the last server stopped.
I do not think that, blindly following the rules, it would be right to annul all the results.
It is therefore normal for there to be a STEWARD who can make a decision that may even be against the rules but is fair to the athletes in terms of results.

JanisTeteris

Post by JanisTeteris » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:47 am

Also, re-flying in this case is not a good solution, because I have already flown this route.
Other weather conditions should not be given - if there will be no fair weather results.
But since the server generates the same weather conditions for everyone, then in case of overflight I will have an advantage, because I have already flown in such conditions, and I can make appropriate adjustments - which cloud to take, which ridge to go to.
In the real world, it's easy - on a radio tale that the task is canceled - everyone flies home - the next day everyone flies the same route again.
In the virtual world, my virtual day didn't even start when she was over for someone else.