[SOLVED] Windows 10 display scale issues (Was: Image quality loss after PC upgrade)

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Bre901

[SOLVED] Windows 10 display scale issues (Was: Image quality loss after PC upgrade)

Post by Bre901 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:57 pm

I have recently bought a new PC in which I have installed my old NVIDIA 1050 Ti card (same monitor and HDMI cable) and I'm experiencing a strong image quality loss.

I have experimented with recent drivers and also the one that was in use in the old PC (441.87) and I have been fiddling with AA parameters, both in Condor and in the NVIDIA control panel, to no avail.

Note : I didn't notice anything similar with the graphics benchmarks I ran after installing the card

Any ideas ?
What puzzles me specially is the difference between the Condor and Windows screenshots :?: :?:

All images below have been clipped to 1024x768 from 2560x1440, no resizing, then converted to JPEG with the same quality (90%)

Condor screenshot taken on 20/06/201 (old PC)
Before.jpg

Condor screenshot taken today (this is NOT what I see on the monitor)
After.jpg

Windows screen capture taken today (quite similar to what appears on the screen)
ScreenCapture20210630.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Bre901

Re: [SOLVED] Image quality loss after PC upgrade

Post by Bre901 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:10 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:57 pm
What puzzles me specially is the difference between the Condor and Windows screenshots :?: :?:
The question posed above was a good question: the culprit is neither Condor nor NVIDIA, but the dreaded MS W10 :roll: :roll:

As the current screen resolution is high (2560x1440) and my eyes are not getting any younger, I had set a scale factor of 125% in the display properties. I had the same on the previous PC, but a much older W10 version (1904, as all further update attempts had failed, probably because of the old hardware) which was probably less intrusive.

If I set ithe scale factor back to 100%, the issue is fixed

Unwanted side effect : all the (tediously arranged) icons on the desktop have been stacked on the left-hand side of the screen in some incomprehensible order :cry:

PS : This thread was originally posted in Hardware, but it has been moved to General as it is definitely NOT a hardware problem

Rotareneg

Re: [SOLVED] Image quality loss after PC upgrade

Post by Rotareneg » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:33 pm

Not sure if it'll help in this case, but you can right click your Condor2 shortcut, select the compatibility tab, and then "Change high DPI settings" and fiddle around with those settings to see if you can get it to look correct while leaving your desktop scaling set to a more usable value than 100%.

Bre901

Re: [SOLVED] Windows 10 display scale issues (Was: Image quality loss after PC upgrade)

Post by Bre901 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:52 am

Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll experiment with that some time.

Until then I'll cope with smaller fonts, as I somehow prefer the higher crispness of the display

Paul_UK

Re: [SOLVED] Windows 10 display scale issues (Was: Image quality loss after PC upgrade)

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:41 pm

I've no idea why but Win 10 defaults to 125% scaling. Ridiculous as it only causes issues in my opinion.

Too me everything looks best when I run @ native resolution for my monitor and no scaling. I do only have one 24" monitor however at 1920x1080
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....