Learn to Glide using glidingschool.com in Condor's Flight School

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

CondorSi

Learn to Glide using glidingschool.com in Condor's Flight School

Post by CondorSi » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:03 pm

Hi,

For those wanting to learn to fly a glider, either in Real Life, or only ever in Condor, have a look at https://glidingschool.com

It is free to use, and was created to support people learning to fly a glider to solo standard. It tells you what you need to know, shows you how to do it, and provides an exercise for you to practise the skills. The BGA pre-solo syllabus is addressed in something over 40 individual lessons, ranging from 'Lookout and the Scan Cycle' to 'Cross Wind Landings'. It should therefore match and support real-life instruction, using the same language and following the same progression. Aside from the obvious, a significant benefit is that the lessons are highly focused, and uncompromised by real world intrusions - so flying by attitude is demonstrable and achievable, and low level launch failures are safe. The skills learnt here are then directly transferable into the real world lesson where the student is better prepared to deal with 'reality' when it intrudes.

The lessons comprise:
  • A Description of the learning points.
  • A Demonstration of the skill being taught.
These can be viewed online, anywhere, any time - even on the airfield immediately ahead of your real life lessons. You can also request a download of all the lessons for use in your Condor simulator, using the Condor Flight School, where in addition to the lesson text and demonstration you will also get:
  • An Exercise in Condor, using the same conditions as the Demonstration.
My club has evaluated the content and is now starting to use it on the club simulator, so that pre-solo students can receive realistic training even on non flying days. The ability to give and receive Remote Instruction was proven during lockdown, by using Zoom to connect the instructor at home with their pupil viewing the content and flying the exercises at their home.

Progression to solo just got a real boost! And crucial in this day and age, Instructor Time is now more available and arguably more effective.

Full documentation is available on the website. This includes how to load the lessons into Condor, obviously. It also describes how to modify and create more lessons, for instance in post solo subjects, or multiple languages, or specific to your location. The lessons use default gliders and scenery suited to the task. No add-ons are required, and it should work on any Condor 2 installation.

glidingschool.com is free to use - it was my lockdown project. I doubt it is perfect, so I'd welcome feedback for development in the next lockdown ;)
Visit https://glidingschool.com for free gliding lessons, online and in Condor's Flight School

chucknitro

Re: Learn to Glide using glidingschool.com in Condor's Flight School

Post by chucknitro » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:25 am

Thanks. I'm looking forward to giving the lessons a go. :)

CondorSi

Re: Learn to Glide using glidingschool.com in Condor's Flight School

Post by CondorSi » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:51 pm

The lessons are now available in Spanish language - for the lesson text and the prompts displayed during the demonstration. Many thanks to Fernando Morales for the translation work.
Visit https://glidingschool.com for free gliding lessons, online and in Condor's Flight School