Thermals Setting

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Lenticular

Thermals Setting

Post by Lenticular » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:35 am

Hi,

If I set thermals to "Moderate" with variation set to "None", all thermals are "Moderate".

If I set thermals to "Moderate" with variation set to "Low", what happens? Does it follow a bell-shaped or V-shaped distribution around the set strength, or is it an upper bound?

Are the other strengths around "Moderate" randomized, or do they also follow a distribution curve, with most thermals being of the selected type?

Thanks!
G-ZULU /// LTN

mrstells

Re: Thermals Setting

Post by mrstells » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:26 pm

I would be interested in hearing from the dev team on this as well.

From what I have observed, it seems as though it is somewhat of an upper bound situation, but then at other times in different landscapes, it seems as though it is something like a bell curve or V-curve.

Uros
Condor Team

Post by Uros » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:22 pm

It's not a bell or V shaped, but uniform distribution: average +/- random * variation
Uros Bergant,
Condor Team

Lenticular

Post by Lenticular » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:03 am

Uros wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:22 pm
It's not a bell or V shaped, but uniform distribution: average +/- random * variation
OK - thanks!

So if I selected Moderate with Medium for variation, then I could expect to see Strong and Weak thermals, but nothing beyond those limits?

I assume also then, that if I select one end of the range of thermal strength (Very Weak or Very Strong) and assuming for an equal generation of addition and subtraction, half the thermals would therefore be of the selected type due to being unable to weaken or strength further?

Additionally, if I selected Moderate as the strength, and Very High as the variation, I should see an equal number*** of all types?

*** randomness being what it is, it will not be perfectly 1/5 of each type. There is nothing to prevent a RNG producing the same sequence 100 times. I'm just trying to ensure I understand what it is doing.

What I would like to do is set up a scenario with mostly moderate thermals, but some weak, some strong, and nothing outside of these, so the variation to use in that case would be "Low"?

I'm assuming the thermal strength is in steps of 0.2 from 0.2 to 1.0, and variation in steps of 0.1 from 0.0 to 0.5, meaning the max/min would be:

0.6 +/- (0.2 * 1.0) = 0.4 to 0.8 (equating to "Weak" and "Strong")??
G-ZULU /// LTN