Ability to monitor landable options

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

dwynberg

Ability to monitor landable options

Post by dwynberg » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:03 am

Now that I am using my Oculus Quest to fly in Condor the experience is immeasurably more "real", but it has re-highlighted the need for a Condor PDA upgrade to include improved basic functionality in line with what one would expect from a PDA in RL running SeeYou Mobile, LK8000 or XCSoar and others.
With the headset on it is impossible to monitor my Oudie which until recently was receiving an NMEA stream from Condor and which then provided that information. When using my Oudie I rarely used the Condor PDA.
Besides the need for a "track UP" view on the Condor PDA, key information needed on real life cross country flights is the ability to monitor safe landable options and alternate waypoints while on track. I use Condor a lot for exploring the terrain around me in the mountains of British Columbia to safely learn my way around, including potentially landing at know safe landable locations - as one might have to do in real life. There are VERY few landout options in our area so height is essential and knowledge of alternate options for a continuously updated safe escape plan if I fail to connect adequately with lift is a basic XC flight safety requirement.
Alternatively does anyone know if it is possible to feed the NMEA stream to software like LK8000 or XCSoar running on the desktop in a window (as opposed to on the Oudie, and with that window visible in Condor as an overlay, perhaps exactly over the top of the Condor PDA. It seems like CoTASA sort of works in this way? can anyone advise?

witor

Re: Ability to monitor landable options

Post by witor » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:43 am

You can have both LK8000 or XCsoar running on the same PC, but you might need a com to com forwarding software. Then you can grab your LK or XC window and pin in in oculus software. To control your XCsoar you can use software like autohotkey.

It is doable, but a bit complicated.

have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_shMNaO6cC4

cvvs

Re: Ability to monitor landable options

Post by cvvs » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:59 pm

Dwindberg all is explained and in a very simple way in this post: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20557