Scenery initialisation

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Graham (GA2)

Re: Scenery initialisation

Post by Graham (GA2) » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:53 am

Thanks to Bre901 (Marc?) for the info on the way the files load and CPU usage.
What would be the suggestion (if any) to upgrade next for a faster experience?

Sorry, but I am a lowly Mechanical Engineer (retired) and when I started out we did not even have pocket calculators!! :D

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:22 am

Graham (GA2) wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:44 am
I don't know what the Arcus model problem is but I find it difficult to trim out to glide properly and can be very twitchy in the climb. The balance between trimmer and flap settings appears to be disjointed: once established, it is barely necessary to touch the trimmer in the real thing. I have the luxury and priviledge of flying an Arcus in reality and if it flew like the Condor one, I would probably sell it.
I thought I had it sorted until I "upgraded" to Win 10 whereby all my settings were lost and I had to start again. The EB29 flies like a dream as do the 18m JS3 & Ventus 3 so it is not a 'span' problem. I also like to think that, after many years and many hours that it is not all down to pilot incompetence. Perhaps it is particularly tricky tasks where I have used it. I have flown the Duo model only once but it did seem more easy to fly than the Arcus.
I have never had the pleasure to fly an Arcus in RL so far, hopefully one day. I've only 20 or so hours in a Duo. Maybe start up a thread in the Planes section with your feedback on the Arcus, it may encourage opinions of others too. Sometimes altering the C of G in Condor can aid the twitchy feeling in Condor. I find you have to be very careful with any elevator inputs when flying as slow as poss with full tanks in a thermal. Some gliders are very twitchy in Condor under these conditions. Whilst not true to RL I pretty much fly using the trim in these instances. I do find the Duo a little easier to fly slower in Condor, when thermalling, than the Arcus too but accommodate by flying a tad faster in the Arcus. Not ideal if you're flying a task with weak / narrow thermals.

Thinking about it we could alter the NON-Linearity of our elevator input control to help reduce the 'twitchy' feel. In RL I have no idea whether elevator input is linear or not in the Arcus or Duo. I suspect though if Condor is made to match RL input whatever joystick at we use for the sim won't perfectly match RL stick movement amount. As in 5degs of stick movement = 2degs of elevator in RL but in Condor 5degs of joystick movement = 5degs in Condor. It could be a scenario like this being the cause. To test you'd need to setup your home stick so that it was the same length as the Arcus's and limit the throw to the same amount the Arcus has in RL.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

Graham (GA2)

Post by Graham (GA2) » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:25 am

Getting there.
A setting tweak here, a setting tweak there. :lol: