XCSoar showing "no data" most of the time

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

balu027

XCSoar showing "no data" most of the time

Post by balu027 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:49 pm

Hello guys,

I recently bought Condor 2 (v2.1.5, now patched to 2.1.6 with Hangar Update18) and it's been great for a while, but now I have issues.
I try to use XCsoar (v6.8.17-Android) with Condor via wifi. I had plenty of times when it successfully joined (mainly before patching to 2.1.6). Now it's very rarely working. I tried deleting the Condor folder in Documents and settings (Windows 7 64 bit) and setting it up again, which worked for a friend of mine who had the same issue lately. It also worked for me, but only for one session. After that, I couldn't get it working. Sometimes it works if I restart the computer, with or without deleting the Condor folder. It usually stops working after one session. Yesterday, it was fine after a restart-delete-set up process and then after 1.5 hours into a flight, it simply stopped sending data to XCSoar. XCSoar showed "no data", so it was still connected, just not receiving data. Absolutely nothing was changed, the network was good (we were in a multiplayer session I hosted and nobody dropped off the network), I can't think of any reason why it stopped. This was the first time this issue happened, usually it just doesn't send anything from the start.

I use the following config:
I have two wifi networks, let's call them 0 and 1. The network cable is plugged into the "0" router, and the "1" router is plugged into the "0" router via Ethernet cable. Both the computer and the phone are on network 0 (tried with 1, used to work, now it doesn't).
I used HW Virtual Serial Port VSP3 with the following settings:
HW VSP3 config.jpg
Enabled COM6 as NMEA output in Condor.
In XCsoar, I used TCP Client with port 4353 and Condor Soaring Sim driver.

When I start Condor, I usually have two bad scenarios:
XCSoar says no data and VSP LAN status is connected .
OR
XCsoar says no connection and VSP LAN status is error.
I click "reconnect in the advanced tab, then XCsoar says no data and VSP LAN status is connected.
If I click reconnect in XCsoar at this point, XCsoar goes into no connection again and VSP LAN status is closed.
During this scenario, I can delete COM without the system claiming usage of the port, which is strange. Is there any way to prove if Condor sends data to the COM port? I I tried to monitor it with PortMon and Realterm without success (what are the settings of communication? Speed, stop bits etc). Do you have any idea about how to solve this problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DanD

Re: XCSoar showing "no data" most of the time

Post by DanD » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:18 pm

I saw similar things with a different virtual serial port, Com2com, when I ran the original Condor. The phone (was Dell Streak) would change IP address on startup (it was only for Condor), and I had to change the settings in Com2com to the new IP before it worked. Might be different with vspe, but I'd check that the IP address of the phone isn't changing between sessions. Doesn't explain it stopping working during flights, though.

I also found the order I turned things on was critical, and that to get it working, I had to start with everything off, so no quick reboots.

Dan

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:42 pm

If possible, try using the bluetooth method, much more reliable than wi fi method...no extra software needed (according to me HSVP is the source of all the problems), no deconnexions, dont need to remember to turn it on before Condor etc....

As u might have guessed, i am never going back to wifi for XCSoar

Directions for bluetooth use are somewhere in this forum

balu027

Post by balu027 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:36 pm

DanD wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:18 pm
I saw similar things with a different virtual serial port, Com2com, when I ran the original Condor. The phone (was Dell Streak) would change IP address on startup (it was only for Condor), and I had to change the settings in Com2com to the new IP before it worked. Might be different with vspe, but I'd check that the IP address of the phone isn't changing between sessions. Doesn't explain it stopping working during flights, though.

I also found the order I turned things on was critical, and that to get it working, I had to start with everything off, so no quick reboots.

Dan
Hello Dan,

I check it regularly, it has the same IP even if I disconnect and reconnect to wifi, so it shouldn't be the problem. I also ping the phone to make sure it's reachable.
I tried starting things in different order but I see no consistency when it's working and when it doesn't.

MrHerisson wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:42 pm
If possible, try using the bluetooth method, much more reliable than wi fi method...no extra software needed (according to me HSVP is the source of all the problems), no deconnexions, dont need to remember to turn it on before Condor etc....

As u might have guessed, i am never going back to wifi for XCSoar

Directions for bluetooth use are somewhere in this forum
I also thought about that. My laptop doesn't have bluetooth but I'll get a stick hopefully next week, I'll try it.

lordauriel

Post by lordauriel » Fri May 21, 2021 11:09 am

had the same issue.

solution for future reference:

HW VSP3 settings see screenshot. basically, run in TCP server mode.
Start program by entering IP address of computer running condor, e.g. 192.168.1.141 port 4353

on XCSoar device (even if it is running on the same PC), choose "TCP client" mode and enter SOURCE IP & port number.

TLDR:

VSP3 - run in TCP server mode, enter Pc's IP address and port 4353
XCSoar device - set to "TCP client", enter same IP & port as you did in VSP3

Works reliably all the time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.