Adjusting brightness?

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

gonzogilbert

Adjusting brightness?

Post by gonzogilbert » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:47 am

Hi, Quick query... I am assuming not as I have searched and found nothing but I was wondering if there was anyway to adjust the brightness of condor 2?

Reason being, I am trying to work out why when in VR (Rift S) with correct IPD settings, Condor 2 is the only sim that causes me eye strain, and not after long durations. Usually around 20-30 minutes in to the point where I have to remove the headset for 5 seconds. Doing this however only gives me another 10 minutes before it happens again.

Yet in other flight sims (without mentioning names, old and new) I can fly for hours without any issues what so ever, it is for some strange reason condor specific.

Researching this a lot say it can be down to the brightness and I do find condor 2 quite bright but unfortunately there is not official way to adjust this through Nvidia or Oculus, it is left up to the developers to put this option in.

I have a high spec setup and run everything in the highest quality settings, MSAA at 8x. I have also played with the "Depth Perception Factor" and whilst this has an effect on the overall scale, it doesn't seem to have any improvement on eye strain.

The only thing left to try is the brightness.

Thanks
Andy

Paul_UK

Re: Adjusting brightness?

Post by Paul_UK » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:17 pm

I have the below option with my Nvidia card. Choose to use NVIDIA settings and adjust the Brightness and Gamma settings to ones you find you can tolerate Condor at.
Brightness.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

gonzogilbert

Post by gonzogilbert » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:32 pm

Hi Paul,

This unfortunately is for the selected monitor only, not the Rift S which does not appear as a display in Nvidia.

Thanks
Andy

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:29 pm

That's a pity. I've no idea then. Sounds like it needs an in sim option like you mention :(
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:38 pm

Paul_UK solution seems correct.

Found on reddit:
> Is there any way to adjust brightness with the rift?

Yes actually. Plug a monitor into the hdmi port your rift would normally occupy. Open Nvidia Control panel, set brightness, contrast, saturation for that monitor. Swap back to rift. I've done this many times myself, often upping the saturation.
You may have to install old driver maybe in order to work.
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

gonzogilbert

Post by gonzogilbert » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:07 pm

BOD1 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:38 pm
Paul_UK solution seems correct.

Found on reddit:
> Is there any way to adjust brightness with the rift?

Yes actually. Plug a monitor into the hdmi port your rift would normally occupy. Open Nvidia Control panel, set brightness, contrast, saturation for that monitor. Swap back to rift. I've done this many times myself, often upping the saturation.
You may have to install old driver maybe in order to work.
Yes I had already seen this, I think unfortunately you have to roll back quite far in order to get this working. Not something I can do unfortunately.

I will just battle one!

Thanks