Script to get RASP weather data into Condor

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

KipperUK

Script to get RASP weather data into Condor

Post by KipperUK » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:32 pm

The reason I was asking for more detail about the weather system in a thread further down (which hasn't had any input :cry: ) was to facilitate a little mini-project that may or may not be useful to someone.

It's a powershell script (ie. should run on vanilla windows 10 without having to install any other stuff) and it will get RASP data for the day for a given Lat/Long and attempt to recreate as best as possible a version of it in Condor 2.

At the moment, some parameters are not set properly because I am experimenting with which bits of data might best correlate to which setting, but it's basically working. It doesn't set task date yet but that's a future improvement to make.

If anyone would like to try it out, or contribute to it - you can get the code here: https://github.com/ChrisBUK/condor2-rasp-weather

If anyone has any comments or suggested improvements to how we can better use the RASP data to make it look more like the real day in Condor, let's have them!

wickid

Re: Script to get RASP weather data into Condor

Post by wickid » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:18 pm

KipperUK wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:32 pm
The reason I was asking for more detail about the weather system in a thread further down (which hasn't had any input :cry: ) was to facilitate a little mini-project that may or may not be useful to someone.
Nobody answered because only Uros knows...

Only public info about is is here: https://www.condorsoaring.com/about/
PH-1504, KOE

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:10 pm

I'm interested in this program.
Is it possible to publish it as .exe?

tiberius

Post by tiberius » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:23 pm

Nice work Chris, although I haven’t had time to explore it yet.

Is it possible to pull historical rasp data to recreate a particular day’s conditions. If not, possibly in the future?

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:16 pm

JShieck wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:10 pm
I'm interested in this program.
Is it possible to publish it as .exe?
You should be able to compile it yourself. At least you know what's in it then.

If you save the file as a powershell file, it will run on a Windows 10 machine with no other software to install.

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:18 pm

tiberius wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:23 pm
Nice work Chris, although I haven’t had time to explore it yet.

Is it possible to pull historical rasp data to recreate a particular day’s conditions. If not, possibly in the future?
No I don't think so - the RASP API is here http://rasp.stratus.org.uk/index.php/ra ... ata-by-day and makes no mention of dates.

DanD

Post by DanD » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:22 pm

This is interesting. I run a small contest for the local clubs. Being able to send the daily weather (easy to download) as part of the task briefing, and have Condor do the settings to mimic the forecast, would develop the contestant's ability to interpret the forecast as part of their planning.

Equally, giving them the absolute minute detail of what the settings are would allow the few to game them, and overall, it would be bothersome. Right now, they have to fly a bit to see what the weather is like, similar to real life.

Having the weather input and not having how the weather models work known would be handy for taskers (who could download weather forecasts for tasking briefings). For the pilots, soaring weather is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get. And it should stay that way.

It would add realism to the simulation, which would develop pilots for real-life soaring, which hopefully we'll be able to do in the upcoming Northern Hemisphere summer.

Thanks to the Condor team for the great simulator, to Condor Club for the great place to share tasks, scenery, contests, and all the people working on landscapes, neat tools to help, glider modelers, and the others who don't immediately come to mind but make Condor so much fun.