Who created Condor? (Forum registration question)

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

fwkb

Who created Condor? (Forum registration question)

Post by fwkb » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:34 pm

Hi everyone.

I have been really enjoying learning Condor 2.

I came to join the forum here and ran into some trouble.

On the forum registration page there is an anti-bot question. The first question I saw was something I knew: "which control surface moves when you pull back on the stick", but I bumbled it and my join attempt was rejected.

On reload, I was presented with a second question: "Who created Condor Soaring Simulator?" Naturally, as a newbie, I do not know the answer. So I went to the Condor site, https://www.condorsoaring.com/, and there is the answer, right on the front page in bold blue text: "Created by pilots to share their passion for gliding". So I entered "pilots" but that answer was also rejected. I tried searching this forum and was locked out of search for 5 minutes after my first search. I looked through other pages on the site and did not find anything else that looked like a better answer (which is not to say it's not there - I just didn't find anything). After a lot of fruitless Googling I found a reference to Sniper Entertainment. I tried that, it was rejected, and I was locked out (too many attempts, try again later).

Later attempts kept showing me the same question. I could not get the original easy question to how up again by reloading, and was afraid to try more guesses at the "created" question, knowing that I would be locked out for an unknown amount of time if I wasted guesses. Eventually I did try another creator guess, and was wrong again, and that time the elevator question came up again, and now here I am.

I am telling this story for two reasons:

1) I would like to suggest that the question be replaced with something that a newbie can answer. I feel like you should not already need to be a member of the community in order to join the community. This is just from my perspective as a newbie trying to get into it. The elevator question seems better. An absolute beginner might not know what an elevator is, but it is not difficult to look up.

2) I am curious. What is the correct answer for "Who created Condor Soaring Simulator?"

roeoender

Re: Who created Condor? (Forum registration question)

Post by roeoender » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:06 pm

fwkb

Post by fwkb » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:46 pm

Small team for such a big & well loved piece of work! So I guess the answer for the form would be "Uroš Bergant and Chris Wedgwood"?

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:01 pm

No, I came along later. Its just him.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

AdrianBennett

Post by AdrianBennett » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:15 pm

I also came across that question and was a little stumped. Getting it wrong, I got the question about the elevator. I do think the question is a bit much for a simple anti-bot question. They’re not supposed to be an exam!
That aside, as a RL Silver C pilot with 80 odd hours of gliding (over 25 years, with gaps) and an experienced power and airline pilot, I have to say how impressed I am with Condor. It’s helping me stay sane during this lockdown and keeping my enthusiasm to do more gliding (that was the plan for 2020, but didn’t work out..) in 2021.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:10 pm

I will
Change it.. suggestions on replacement questions to me by pm please
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

AdrianBennett

Post by AdrianBennett » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:06 pm

Thanks Chris,
I'm not computer savvy enough to know what is an effective anti-bot question I'm afraid. The question about the effect of the elevator seemed reasonable, or similar questions, (Close up of a tail and ask what it is, for example?) especially as I'd image that most Condor users would have at least a passing knowledge of the basics of flight. Again, thanks to you all for a superb product.

Nigel_95

Post by Nigel_95 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:04 pm

The creator question threw me as well. I found and entered Uroš Bergant. That was rejected (why??) so I tried Chris Wedgwood which was also rejected. After a 3rd attempt I was temporarily locked out but thankfully found this thread by searching the internet which told me of the other question which thankfully came up the next time I tried:
Suggestion: Drop the creator question, and substitute with (for example) What goes down on the left wing when you move the stick to the right

Wind Whisperer

Post by Wind Whisperer » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:30 pm

OXO wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:10 pm
I will
Change it.. suggestions on replacement questions to me by pm please
The questions are still the same for the registration. Took me many hours to sign up.
Here are some simple questions.
What planet do we live on? "earth"
What color is the sky "blue"
What software do you need to play this game "Condor" or Condor2"

I hope you'll change the registration questions.
Thank You, the newbie Wind Whisperer

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:20 pm

It is done
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team