winch training

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

GDailey

winch training

Post by GDailey » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:13 pm

I have been flying Condor for a while,and enjoying it, but I would like advice on whether it is possible to use it/ modify it for a new purpose.

I am in charge of winch driver training at the Midland gliding club, Long Mynd, UK.
As a result of Covid restrictions, we have been unable to train new winch drivers and have lost two of the older drivers.

When we are able to resume training, we want to speed up the process as much as possible. I believe I see how to use Condor to help on non-flyable days - ALMOST. The minimum needed is to be able to replay a launch and view it from the winch location.

I can almost do this. View replay, use replay camera (F9) then ground view (F4) offers several fixed ground viewpoints, with the ability to zoom and pause. Unfortunately, none of the views is from the winch position. I can see no way to alter the viewpoint set offered.

Presumably the winch position is assumed within Condor (at the far end of the runway?), so if a program modification is the only way to achieve this, it may be as small as adding this position to the standard set of views. As I know nothing of how Condor works, it may not be so simple, of course.

Please advise:
1 Is there any way to achieve what I want without modifying the program?
2 If not, how do I get this added to the "wish list" that probably exists?

Thanks, all

Geoff

wickid

Re: winch training

Post by wickid » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:34 pm

The only way I can imagine doing that now is to use F2 view and drag the camera away from the plane. (Hold right mouse button and move the mouse towards you)
PH-1504, KOE

TimKuijpers

Post by TimKuijpers » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:12 pm

Some workaround might be:

- use the 'ghost function' and land your glider at the winch facing the start position and then you watch your 'ghost' take off from there.

- host a multiplayer session (two licenses required) and do the same as above: 1 glider stays on the ground at the winch while the other takes off. F7 view will work perfectly then.

In the end it might be more efficiënt to do the latter and make a video of it. Will be more work at first, but once you have the footage you can re use as many times as you like.

In condor 1, F4 used to place the camera at the turnpoint and/or airport/towers. Wonder if that is still hidden somewhere in the code and could be reactivated in a patch. At least it was a good wat to view fly-by's and if you'd set a turnpoint at the winch it would give you what you'd need. But if this would/could happen at all it will take some time for sure
Think positive, flaps negative.

GDailey

Post by GDailey » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:42 pm

Thanks for both suggestions.

Wickid: I think that F2 will move the viewpoint with the target glider, which is not what is wanted. I will try it and see.

TimKuijpers: I will try your suggestion re Ghost. It will improve my downwind spot landings, at least!

I had wondered about the multiplayer option, but have never done any multiplayer flying. I shall read up on it.
You mention needing 2 licenses. Presumably one can belong to a friend who flies from his home?

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks, Geoff