PROP effects on SLG and SSG, and the Stemme...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

jcomm

PROP effects on SLG and SSG, and the Stemme...

Post by jcomm » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:26 am

Wondering if, and up to what detail, the real world prop effects are taken into consideration in the modelling of these effects in Condor2 ?

Pitching moment due to thrust is modelled, that's evident, but I wonder about p-factor, torque and spiralling slipstream effects specially in the Stemme, requiring application of left, in this case, rudder to counter the yawing tendencies ?

I own the Stemme and the ASG29, and on both I can't say I was able to notice any of these effects, even flying near Vs0 and applying considerable thrust changes.
José Oliveira
Hey you Chicks flying bricks....
Come Fly Gliders ! Be Outsiders!

wickid

Re: PROP effects on SLG and SSG, and the Stemme...

Post by wickid » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:02 am

Yes, but it is very weak on the Stemme. Low power, combined with a long tail and long wings with a lot of inertia cause the effect to be quite weak.

If you take off in completely still weather without touching the controls the plane starts turning right very slowly. (Prop turns counterclockwise.
PH-1504, KOE

jcomm

Re: PROP effects on SLG and SSG, and the Stemme...

Post by jcomm » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:24 am

Ah, thx for the reply.

I did test, aware it's a ccw prop and in that case "right-turning" tendencies should be expected, and I did take into account the long arm, low power, and the huge inertia compared to, say, a typical ulm, but I couldn't glimpse the effects.

Will give it a new try, using "nill" wind of course.
José Oliveira
Hey you Chicks flying bricks....
Come Fly Gliders ! Be Outsiders!