catch a wave

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

David Broadhurst DPB

catch a wave

Post by David Broadhurst DPB » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:29 pm

I'm having a go at Gold badge on Jura. However, finding wave is proving elusive. I have climbed to cloudbase on various thermals and enjoyed flying the ridges but cannot see how to find and then establish in wave. This does seem to be a requirement to be able to get past tp3, I know that wave should be on the lee side of a ridge, somewhere.....but it has proved elusive.

Bre901

Re: catch a wave

Post by Bre901 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:44 pm

David Broadhurst DPB wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:29 pm
I'm having a go at Gold badge on Jura. However, finding wave is proving elusive. I have climbed to cloudbase on various thermals and enjoyed flying the ridges but cannot see how to find and then establish in wave. This does seem to be a requirement to be able to get past tp3,
You can get there without wave
I know that wave should be on the lee side of a ridge.
If there is more than one ridge, depending on wavelength, the wave may be on the lee side of the ridge upwind of a valley, but on the windward side of a ridge downwind of same valley.
Enough said :wink:
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Paul_UK

Re: catch a wave

Post by Paul_UK » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:55 am

Just like in RL. I was very lucky that the wavelength frequency perfectly aligned with the slope behind aspres sur buech airfield in France when I was on a gliding expedition there. We climbed up the ridge and noticed you could continue to fly the same track off the ridge and still climb. We launched and basically stayed above the airfield all the way up to FL195 where those big commercial aircraft put a stop to our fun. It was great :mrgreen:
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....