Condor2 cockpit mod integrity and the speed-i.c3d file

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

congo

Condor2 cockpit mod integrity and the speed-i.c3d file

Post by congo » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:08 am

Hi,

I am the author of a Condor2 cockpit / gauge mod that is a small private distribution and not made available on any website to my knowledge.
However, I'm aware that once something is "out there" you cannot control the user base even if you wanted to.

I have a concern over the integrity of Condor2 mods that use outdated files in order to facilitate the mod.
In particular, my gauge mod uses the "speed-i.c3d" file found attached to this post, and indeed, it is dependent on it.

This old file disables the Condor2 default flap rings so preciously desired since Condor evolved, but were only relatively recently added to Condor2.
In my mod, I disabled the new flap rings in preference to using my original modded flap rings on the ASI gauge, as all my panels rely on the modded .gau files and modded ASI artwork...... the new flap rings simply do not fit and cannot fit my panel mods' physical dimensions.
Shot30.jpg
I was going to send this as a PM to OXO, but I thought it might be worth community discussion, in case there are other interested parties.

What I am wary of is this scenario....... Condor2 updates the speed-i.c3d file in a way that causes a problem, incompatibility, inaccuracy, advantage or dis-advantage for anyone using my cockpit / gauge mod.

I wonder if there is any way this worry can either be dispelled by the Condor team, or if they would be kind enough to provide a modded file without flap-ring if or when the speed-i.c3d file is sufficiently altered as to cause concern to Condor2 developers, mod developers and their user base?

I refer to the imperial file, but this thread also refers to the speed.c3d file as well, I just haven't made a metric mod as yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul_UK

Re: Condor2 cockpit mod integrity and the speed-i.c3d file

Post by Paul_UK » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:10 pm

Forgive my maybe silly question. What exactly does the c3d file do? Is it the model / mechanics of the gauge itself as in the part which contains the code to move the ASI needle? If so I understand why you're posting this Congo.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

wickid

Post by wickid » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:58 pm

C3D is the 3D mesh and UV map info
PH-1504, KOE

congo

Post by congo » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:38 pm

Thanks for the info wickid.

To Paul_UK :
I didn't know exactly what it was Paul, only that it was modified to add the new default flap rings.

Because my panels use much larger gauges than the defaults, the new default flap rings obscure other gauges on the panels because they are externally concentric to the ASI's. To get around the problem on my modded panels, I simply used an old version of the files, the ones before the flap rings were added as default features. I can simply add the old speed-i.c3d file to each of the flapped glider's "gauges" folder, as part of my mod, overwriting the default files, thus disabling the new flap rings so they don't interfere with my panel mods, which all have custom flap rings anyway.

As long as the speed-i.c3d and speed.c3d files remain as they are, there is no issue, but if they get updated, then I'm not sure what to do. The mod is a huge time investment for me, and it is popular with those I've shared it with.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:09 pm

If I've read what Wickid has written up correctly I don't think there is anything to worry about Congo.

It only reads as thought it is the 3d representation and info for creating light / shadows.

It doesn't control the movement of the needle etc, which I'd think is the bit you're most concerned about Congo?

I am one who enjoys your modded cockpits so I'll keep an eye on this thread but I think it'll be OK.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

congo

Post by congo » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:00 am

Yes Paul, it looks like wickid is saying exactly that. I actually thought the file was the instrument parameters, (needle movement, etc), as well as the graphics, before wickid posted clarification.

I would imagine that the new flap rings would be added to the .c3d file by additional content to it's container, and that it wouldn't be a big deal to provide an alternative file for cockpit modders if it's ever required by us.

I posted this thread as a form of request to please consider us if there is any chance those files get upgraded, and perhaps to make the Condor2 devs aware just how dependent the modder is on the older version of the speed.c3d and speed-i.c3d files.

wickid

Post by wickid » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:51 am

When loading a plane Condor looks at the .gau files which gauges are required. Condor reads the C:\Condor\planes\"plane you want to mod"\gauges folder first to look for those gauges C3D file and/or their textures.

If the files are not there it looks in C:\condor\gauges

There are 3 or 4 versions of the speed.c3d. The standard one is in the main gauges folder. If a plane has a special one like a flapring the corresponding c3d file is in that planes gauges folder. Every plane has a different texture file for the ASI in its gauges folder to show the correct markings on its face. Otherwise the default one with no markings in the main gauges folder would be used.

You can open the gauge c3d files with the object editor that comes with the landscape toolkit to see how they look. Much quicker then having to reload the plane all the time when making artwork for them.

As long as you keep the c3d file of the gauge which texture you have modified and put it in the planes gauges folder it will work. Even if the condor team decides to modify the ASI c3d files in the main folder.
PH-1504, KOE

congo

Post by congo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:16 pm

Thanks for the info wickid, particularly how to read the .c3d files , much appreciated :)