Remote Instruction via Zoom etc

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

CondorSi

Remote Instruction via Zoom etc

Post by CondorSi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:42 pm

Hi,

Has anyone tried sharing a Condor session over Zoom or similar, with good results? The goal being to allow remote instruction, where the observer / instructor does not have Condor. I had hoped that by screen sharing they could see what the pupil sees and see their instruments and control inputs, and hence offer guidance.

I have just tried it, and the delay between sender and observer was unworkable. Audio was timely but the image was about three seconds late and the refresh rate was at best about once per second, down to once per three seconds.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Visit https://glidingschool.com for free gliding lessons, online and in Condor's Flight School

Paul_UK

Re: Remote Instruction via Zoom etc

Post by Paul_UK » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:47 pm

Surely using the spectate function will be the best way to watch control inputs with as little lag as possible.

Unfortunately for training purposes it still isn't ideal as the ASI reads GS I believe and not TAS, something like that.

How about Discord and one person live streaming? That seems pretty good when I've watched others stream though I of course haven't been instructing so whilst it looks smooth there may still be some lag element.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

CondorSi

Re: Remote Instruction via Zoom etc

Post by CondorSi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:29 pm

Hi, in case anyone was wondering... Zoom works well when you share the screen with the option ticked to optimise for video sharing. After a demonstration of a sample lesson with an instructor, I am now hopeful that we can deliver some instruction during lockdown :) Condor's Flight School provides a good framework for this, allowing the creation of briefing notes and demonstrations (repeatable) and hence a start point for the student's exercise, which the instructor can view and comment on in real time.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone in the UK has done this. I am aware of Russ Holtz's gliderbooks.com lessons for v2 and Scott Manley's prior work in v1 - they are excellent.
Visit https://glidingschool.com for free gliding lessons, online and in Condor's Flight School