Condor and SkySight

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

johngfoster

Condor and SkySight

Post by johngfoster » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:26 am

Hi there. I was wondering if there is any plan or thought to somehow make it possible to "plug in" weather data from a source like SkySight to automatically set the weather parameters for the day on Condor. This would be amazing to be able to fly the local weather that SkySight is predicting. I realized there would have to be some "patch" or other software developed to make the two programs talk to each other, but it is an idea that I think would be very well received, if it were possible to do. I'm new here, so forgive me if this has been discussed before (I did search old threads and only found one that partially discussed this). Thanks.

Re: Condor and SkySight

Post by 6266 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:21 pm

On a day with rain where you cannot fly in the real life you could use Condor instead. But it is raining there too :-X
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
26 landscapes with free available textures, newest: AlpsW

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC

johngfoster

Post by johngfoster » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:10 am

Or you could look at the forecast for tomorrow or the next few days, on a day when you have time to make a good flight, and get a short "test" flight in. Or if you have a good day, but your glider is in the shop, you could fly anyway.

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Real weather would be nice. :D
Maybe someone makes a program editing the weather of a selected flight plan to the real skysight or topmeteo weather. :idea:

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:49 pm

I don't see the point of this at all.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

johngfoster

Post by johngfoster » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:11 am

OXO wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:49 pm
I don't see the point of this at all.
Really? I see many possible reasons someone may want to do use SkySight, or any of the other weather apps out there to give realistic weather and soaring conditions to Condor.

1. Real weather is a lot more varied and complex than what is currently available on Condor2. If you are flying an XC flight, the weather will be different along different parts of the flight AND during different parts of the day. Being able to use SkySight for the weather could dramatically improve the realism of the weather in Condor2
2. Your glider is down for maintenance, but you see amazing weather outside or it's predicted to be amazing, and you still want to fly. You're stuck on the ground, but can still fly virtually.
3. It's a bad weather day, but the soaring conditions are predicted to dramatically improve over the next few days. Only trouble is, you can't fly those days because you have to work, or have other obligations, or whatever. However, you have the time to fly now. So, plug in the amazing weather that is predicted in a few days and go for it.
4. The weather is predicted to be weak, but possibly flyable, so instead of spending $$$ for tows/multiple re-lights, you fly it virtually and get valuable practice flying in weak conditions, without the added expense of doing it in real life.

I could go on.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:18 am

Condor can only simulate weather conditions which we have already programmed. There is no possibility of 3rd party weather.

In any case, just look at the forecast and use the weather settings in Condor to replicate that, insofar as that is possible.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

tiberius

Post by tiberius » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:55 pm

Oxo, are the team still planning on implementing additional weather parameters? I seem to remember hints towards frontal conditions and/or zones of differing conditions.

Forgive my ignorance but I assume that the latter wouldn’t be too hard to implement within C2 by allowing zones to be drawn in the task planner, much like penalty zones currently, and allowing differing conditions to be selected for each zone. I guess there would be a need for some form of blending at the zone boundaries to avoid abrupt changes.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:57 pm

Affirm.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

congo

Post by congo » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:10 pm

OXO wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:57 pm
Affirm.
:shock: Affirm..... that's it ? This is just typical. Yeah yeah, I know........ it'll be ready when it's ready.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:16 pm

congo wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:10 pm
OXO wrote:
Affirm.
:shock: Affirm..... that's it ? This is just typical. Yeah yeah, I know........ it'll be ready when it's ready.

You'd be disappointed if it was any other way.

"Getting an audience is hard. Sustaining an audience is hard. It demands a consistency of thought, of purpose and of action over a long period of time.” – Bruce Springsteen
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Fabry

Post by Fabry » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:42 pm

OXO wrote:
Affirm.
Oscar X-Ray Oscar you're authorized for 2.1.4 - comply when able
Fabry
FDS
ASW-19 N80SF

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:26 am

O - X - O downwind for two one four
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

tiberius

Post by tiberius » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:55 pm

O-X-O (Please) make it a short final and expedite.