Finish altitude shadow to show max and min height

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

PegasusT4

Finish altitude shadow to show max and min height

Post by PegasusT4 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:38 pm

It would be great if the turnpoint/finish helper shadow would show the minimum height required (if set for the task) to finish instead of always going to the ground. i.e. if the finish is set at 200m minimum and 1000m maximum, start the bottom shadow at 200m and end it at 1000m.

Thanks,
Doug

Crashgybe

Re: Finish altitude shadow to show max and min height

Post by Crashgybe » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:18 pm

I am not sure if there is a quick and easy way to estimate this arithmetically, but I know that many people use XCSoar for this feature. It would be nice if it were integrated into the Condor PDA, but I think, based on other posts in here, that their main focus at the moment is aircraft dev and weather model upgrades.

Edit: I misinterpreted OPs comment. It would be nice to be able to set the altitude at a target TP, e.g. "arrival safety height", so that the glide slope doesn't aim you into the ground on final glide.
Last edited by Crashgybe on Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. (Churchill)

Rotareneg

Post by Rotareneg » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:31 pm

The PDA does that already, 0 DDH is minimum altitude at the next tp (ground if there isn't a minimum.)

grinvaldsjanis

Post by grinvaldsjanis » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:58 pm

+1

yesterday I flew a competition. Ok..there were in rules and in a route that finish approach hight is 400...10000, but it was not represented in helpers. I usually never use helpers, but this competition enabled it and I switched helper at the very end ...and when I saw that helper is all the way to the ground it meant to me that approach is 0m....

Developers. If the pilot crosses the finished plane of the helper it should resemble into "cheering crowd noise", not a disappointment, stress, frustration.

Please fix this. This is a very easy fix. I know it was my fault to even use helpers and not being careful with the rules, but Your bad is to provide frustration and bad UX at least for beginners.
I believe Condor is mostly to promote the sport of Sailplanes.

Cheers!

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:30 am

In most Condor competitions the turnpoint helpers are only visible from a short distance (if they are visible at all) and in real-life they just don't exist

On the other hand, in real-life you will have some navigation device that computes the final glide and indicates if you are above or below it.

The Condor PDA does the job quite well and you can (and must) rely on it, as already mentioned by Rotareneg
Rotareneg wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:31 pm
The PDA does that already, 0 DDH is minimum altitude at the next tp (ground if there isn't a minimum.)
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/