E glide competition

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Wally

E glide competition

Post by Wally » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:36 pm

Hi guys,

maybe an idea to include an E-glide competition in condor 2...? Maybe it's possible to implement the rules into the program to create special e glide tasks?

https://www.fai.org/news/new-contest-co ... tric-power

brgds,

Roy

BOD1

Re: E glide competition

Post by BOD1 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:18 pm

2018.. Has it been tested in several competitions? Where are the rules described?
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:28 pm

We have no electric gliders so it’s a non starter
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

MrHerisson

Post by MrHerisson » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:34 am

I must say I feel like the engine in whatever glider is widely under used (by me).
Besides occasional self launch I never use it...maybe because that would end the task for me..... :wink:

We could have tasks where engine would be allowed.

I see it this way: make a task that is longer than the engine's range (obviously you don't want to make the whole trip with the engine on) but make it so that it is not possible to do it without engine (early start or late landings when there is not yet/no more thermals ..weak thermals....TP really high on the lee side of difficult mountain or really low in the valley....maybe a touch 'n go on a designated field....flying in a canyon....any place that you're not going to because you know you ain't coming back ).

Fuel management (battery management should we get en E glider) would become a thing........ where, when, how long to use the engine.

Just my two cents.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:16 pm

Engine use on task is considered an outlanding in Condor2 (as iRL). Scoring should then be done outside Condor...

Wally

Post by Wally » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:25 pm

Actually they just finished racing the competition in real life.

check this website: https://www.e2glide.de/en/

The aim of the E2GLIDE format is to take up the experience gained from the 1st eglide contest 2019 in Pavullo / Italy in a structured manner and to combine it with other ideas. The use of defined engine contingents during the competition flight enables increasing independence from the weather and high-profile racing events.

In contrast to ordinary gliding competitions, a defined energy quota can be used after the regatta start in order to avoid outlandings or to increase the average speed with the help of an electric motor. Whoever flies over the finish line first wins the day. Exceeded energy quota is subject to a time penalty.

This can't be hard to include this into condor 2 right? Ok, you can ignore the "electric" part for now until they make an addon plane with electric engine. (just use "an engine" for an amount of time with time penalty) I believe they can use up to 2kWh energy quota.