Schweizer 1-26 winch launch

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

mhs

Schweizer 1-26 winch launch

Post by mhs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:02 pm

Attempting winch launch with this SGS1-26 goes through the normal launch sequence up to wings level then it
just sits there and the winch never starts, no problem with any other glider I have tried. Has anyone seen this problem?

Michael Sheppard.

bluefang

Re: Schweizer 1-26 winch launch

Post by bluefang » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:48 am

Maybe the front fell off?

In all seriousness, I just tried a 1-26 winch launch and it went through the full launch without any issues.

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

mhs

Post by mhs » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:33 pm

The problem seems to be landscape or airfield dependent. I have tested on SEUK landscape Booker airfield (EGTB)
which is my local airfield and the launch works as expected. I have seen a delay problem on Southern Norway Anda airfield (ENSD)
although the launch did start after several minutes. The airfield showing the longest delay is AA2 Courchevel (LFLJ), no launch in
10 minute wait. Aero-tow from this airfield is difficult as the runway has a gradient of 18.6% and Condor starts the tow around 100 feet
from the drop so you go onto the slope below flying speed with the nose pointing down, the tug has its own private invisible horizontal
runway, your options are to try and recover the tow after leaving the runway or release and go for the "Ski Jump" launch. I eventually took the
cheat option of an airborne start. I was looking to try a SG38 task with the lowest performance PDA enabled glider as the SG38 is a little
short of Nav equipment and requires a lot of lift, the task also involves a lot of cloud avoidance.
The SG38 winch from Courchevel works as expected.
I am running latest Condor (2.1.3) and Hanger 14, NMEA output enabled and Opentrack for head tracking.

bluefang

Post by bluefang » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:07 am

I just tried Courchevel - I was able to do a winch launch on runway 22 - but as soon as it loads the airport and puts you in the glider, you start sliding backwards - if you quickly hit [esc] to start the launch sequence, you can get in the air - but it is not pretty. Runway 04, I saw the same thing as you - the launch never happens.

My local field, Crooked Creek (landscape = RDU-USA) - also has a sloped runway - but I was able to do a winch launch both directions.

Better support for sloped runways is something that gets brought up a bunch (both in Landscape editing tools as well as better tow plane and winch launch support).

Get my scenery on condor.club: RDU-USA (Raleigh/Durham area of NC)

JShieck

Post by JShieck » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:10 pm

What about bungee lunch for sloped runways? :idea:
This would be nice with the Grunaubaby, the SG38 or Schweizer.
I think this would be fun. :D

mhs

Post by mhs » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:14 pm

I have seen bungee launch simulated by a minimum height airborne start, tasks from Latrigg, might also be
possible from Long Mynd, they do real live bungee there. Do not think this would work at Courchevel as
airborne launch seems to start from the upwind end of the runway.

I have done some more tests on AA2 and not yet found another problem airfield.

I have checked the patch level of Southern Norway (fully patched) and tried the launch
from Anda runway 29 again. Problem is still present and the launch will hang forever unless
you hit escape to bring up the "end task" box. Clicking on anything except the end task will
clear the end task box and start the winch. At least this option gives warning of winch start.

Same trick does not work on my installed AA2 but I am working on a full reinstall of AA2 and will
then retry.

Landing at Courchevel is also a lot of fun, first attempt was a landing on the slope but too far down
and not fast enough to get onto the flat despite a tail wind followed by an acceleration backwards
down the runway and a mad scrabble to end the task. Second attempt with too much energy resulting
in a run up the bank at the end of the apron and a roll back onto the flat. Condor was kind enough not
to break the glider, it also seems to be kind on reversed control airflow on downwind landing.

mhs

Post by mhs » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:21 pm

Reinstalled AA2 latest from a fresh download but problem is still there on the 04 winch launch in 1-26.
Tried an aero tow on 04 and that was fine with a 26kt headwind with DR400 tug as I was airborne before
hitting the runway slope. After release the tug decided to land back on 04 so it went downwind in a valley NW
of the runway and vanished in the pine trees at the end of the valley, shortly after it emerged from the rocks behind the
apron and landed back to park near the hangers.
I attempted to land back on 22 and started final below the apron level but, due to the 1-26 spoiler limits, I found
that I was full spoiler and +7 on vario so had to go around for a second attempt. Starting second attempt lower
enable a touchdown just below the apron, Condor declared it a landing and I finished up on the flat but it was not pretty.