Question to the Devs: Condor addon for FS2020?

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

mumblecake

Question to the Devs: Condor addon for FS2020?

Post by mumblecake » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:00 am

Hi devs,

with more and more detail being revealed about FS2020 every day by Alpha/Beta testers I wondered if the new marketplace could possibly provide a path to integrate Condor into FS2020 as a paid for addon.

The things that make Condor so great is the incredible flight model and also the weather model.

Now one the big questions are if the flight model is accurate enough to fascillitate an accurate gliding simulator. It appears that each aerofoil is carefully modelled and as such there might be the potential. The weather system in FS2020 seems truely spectecular but again the question if it would suffice for a good gliding simulator.

The addon would need to contain:
- gliders
- tow planes
- towing/launching algorithms
- task planning
- PDA
- many more things that Condor has and that won't be in FS2020

personally I would be happy to pay for FS-Condor license and all addon gliders all over again if that would allow me to fly in FS2020 and I just wanted to ask if this is something that the devs are considering.

OXO
Condor Team

Re: Question to the Devs: Condor addon for FS2020?

Post by OXO » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:01 pm

We are not thinking about that. We have plenty to do with Condor improvements already.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Heller

Post by Heller » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:56 am

Considering the history of M$ Flight Simulator. Integrating Condor would be a bad choice for a number of reasons.

1. M$ dropped support and left everyone hanging with the last release, it was so bad many were not able to play or get a refund. No idea if that will happen with the new release, but M$ has never been very good at support, listening to customers, don't get me started on update history.

2. Same thing happened with the M$ online WW2 Combat Flight Simulator in early 2000's, things went bad, they dropped it. Bad customer support, bad flight dynamics, etc.......

3. Horrible unrealistic flight dynamics in past M$FS releases. No idea if it will be better this time. But M$FS has always been about game play, not reality. They had gliding, but no where near the reality of Condor 2. Do not believe their hype, they are saying the same thing as prior releases, yet they were all very unrealistic.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:08 am

Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

Heller

Post by Heller » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:11 am

That is very interesting. Considering, that the majority is IN. I do not take much stock on anything posted on redit. Never the less, it does make one wonder why all the inbound traffic. Outbound hardly visible, looks more inline with what most online games produce. Considering that is a graph produced by someone connected to a server, or perhaps playing offline, who knows, not many details.

Due to my past 39 years experience with gaming long before windblows, 25 years online. I do not have any confidence in anything M$ releases. Specifically so when it come to flight simulation.

Wish game developers would take better advantage of the Linux Open Source Options. Smart game developers could build a Linux OS around the game, rather than building the game around the OS. Could be installed on drive, usb, cloud, run from ram totally if enough ram, etc....... No large incompetent corporate structure with bad updates to rely upon.......

Condor has been doing fine doing it's own thing. My only issue is dependence upon M$.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:25 am

Assuming its correct, the reason is that all the landscape, objects etc is online and it's downloaded as you fly through it.

I believe its possible to store landscape data locally but the storage requirements are massive.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

congo

Post by congo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:32 pm

In the past MSFS releases, you didn't need to hack the airfiles to adjust the aircraft properties.
Most of the physical parameters could be adjusted using the aircraft.cfg file, (a simple text file),
so it was possible, with a lot of trial and error, to vastly improve the flight dynamics of your
favourite airplanes. So, even though default aircraft could be sketchy with realism, modified
aircraft and third party addons could be quite lovely to fly and realistic, (within the confines of
the MSFS physics). All in all, it wasn't really that bad if you had the right planes to fly.

One of the most perplexing things I found was that the CoG's were almost always way too far
forward in MSFS, usually located at the leading edges of the wings, I never understood why they
did that.

The online bitrate used to be measured in seconds, it was awful.

In CFS2, we used to use a third party server-side addon that detected modified aircraft files or
modified aircraft.cfg files to weed out cheaters.

Paul_UK

Post by Paul_UK » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:34 am

I remember the cheat planes in CFS. They were crazy. Flying around at ridiculous speeds and armed with hundreds of guns.

If I recall correctly as well as the *.cfg file in MSFS you could use a program called AirED to edit the *.air files. That also contained info ref flying characteristics. Default aircraft in the past felt wooden to fly in MSFS.

Whilst I would love Condor to have the same visuals and combine the Condor teams knowledge ref weather scenarios etc for soaring I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to merge. Gliding is a bit of a niche market after all in the sim world. That said it could also open the eyes of many a budding pilot out there to the joys of flying gliders. We all appreciate the team that create Condor have other things to get on with outside of Condor but I'm not sure the MSFS team would see things the same way.

I am extremely curious to see just how good the MSFS weather system actually is. There has been a lot of hype about it and visually it looks good but the proof will be in the dynamics of it all. If there isn't thermal generation from the off they've failed straight away IMO. They exist in real life, they should be there with the right weather settings regardless of whether there is a glider in the sim. We'll just have to wait and see to see if the hype can be lived up to.
2018 - Silver Badge complete - Forgot I could claim for the 100km diploma flying an out and return :oops:
2019 - Get up to speed and aim for a 300km task?! maybe.....

JShieck

Are we really talking about this? - A sin!

Post by JShieck » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:16 pm

To see the thermal system of FS2020 I would recomment testing it with the Flight Design CTLS.
It's the only plane that looks like to fly slow enogh to circle in a thermal (with running engine).
It's like the Sinus from Pipistrel.
So you can test it.
I hope for MS to make any glider for their FS.

However Condor Soaring will ever be THE sailplane simulator,
the best choise for XC Soaring!!!

It must be hard for the Condor team to see this discussion doubting the best sailplane simulator existing.

plenty_otoole

Post by plenty_otoole » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:27 am

It would be a great add on to have Condor 2 work with three monitors without crashing every time.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:46 am

plenty_otoole wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:27 am
It would be a great add on to have Condor 2 work with three monitors without crashing every time.
You already started a thread on that topic, I don't think polluting other people's threads will help :roll: :roll:
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

wickid

Re: Are we really talking about this? - A sin!

Post by wickid » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:24 pm

JShieck wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:16 pm
To see the thermal system of FS2020 I would recomment testing it with the Flight Design CTLS.
It's the only plane that looks like to fly slow enogh to circle in a thermal (with running engine).
It's like the Sinus from Pipistrel.
So you can test it.
I hope for MS to make any glider for their FS.

However Condor Soaring will ever be THE sailplane simulator,
the best choise for XC Soaring!!!

It must be hard for the Condor team to see this discussion doubting the best sailplane simulator existing.
Tried MSFS. I haven't found any thermals or ridge lift. So it is useless for gliders at the moment. It is pretty much only pretty graphics and not much else.
PH-1504, KOE

Rotareneg

Post by Rotareneg » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:38 pm

Yeah, I took the CTLS out for a spin from Innsbruck Airport with a strong south wind and found no evidence of ridge lift. The flight models are more suitable for an arcade game than something claiming to be a simulator. The volumetric clouds, while sometimes looking really nice, also have a bad habit of becoming way too dark and ominous, ending up looking more like something from Flash Gordon. All in all, it was exactly what I expected. Best part was when MS refunded my $1.11 when I canceled the XBox Game Pass for PC subscription, so it didn't even cost a dollar to test. :D

grinvaldsjanis

Post by grinvaldsjanis » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:52 am

OXO wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:01 pm
We are not thinking about that. We have plenty to do with Condor improvements already.
Hi!

What improvements was made in 1year time. I just wonder.

50$ - one map(when will be some more?) - others made by users! using a very poor (or self-made) and un-intuitive bunch of tools.
I am facing a lot of excuses that there are "only 2 people" in the team while the community asks to be involved in development constantly, make team bigger, share tasks. Is there a plan to start thinking about some leap in these terms?

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:19 pm

https://www.condorsoaring.com/news/

The team isn't going to change anything. Search the forum. They choose Quality over Quantity and keeping it in-house.

This topic is about a Condor add-on for FS2020. And this topic has already an answer... viewtopic.php?p=171785#p171785