Spectate! as a teaching tool

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

mbamberg

Spectate! as a teaching tool

Post by mbamberg » Wed May 13, 2020 6:24 pm

I'm really excited to try the Spectate! function with my XC students. While the environment is not a perfect representation of the real world, I can see where this will help.

I often want to have a student "see" what I'm pointing at or using to make certain decisions. With the Spectate I can be the pilot and the student can see my cockpit and the same instruments and sky. When I look around I can point to exactly the cloud or other item and there is no parallax or different interpretations direction and distance.

I'll let you know how it works.

MikeB

Fabry

Re: Spectate! as a teaching tool

Post by Fabry » Wed May 13, 2020 7:38 pm

A RL student (advanced Solo Student almost ready for PPLG Checkride) and I already used this, we basically rehearsed the lesson we'll fly next Saturday on the Blanik, he was flying and I was observing.
The biggest limitations are:

1) Absence of Yaw String in Spectator window
2) ASI showing TAS instead of IAS
3) Absence of control feedback or a small mini-control on-screen window to show that.

Even with all of those limitation it's an outstanding tool and will allow us to limit time in the cockpit together at a minimum and in Covid19 time that's a BIG plus
Fabry
FDS
ASW-19 N80SF

avanspron

Re: Spectate! as a teaching tool

Post by avanspron » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:34 am

It's a great tool but would much better if the spectator sees the same values on the instruments as the pilot.

I think ASI shows ground speed, vario is not compensated and would be great to see the PDA screen the pilot is looking at.

If these could be fixed then would be great tool to teach x/c and both beginner and advance levels.