Two SG-38 problems

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

JeffSmith

Two SG-38 problems

Post by JeffSmith » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:07 am

I flew the SG-38 glider yesterday and it is a wonderful addition to my collection.
The feeling it gives one is like being a bird which responds to every nuance of the wind and mountain conditions.

There are two problems with the task simulation settings for the glider.

1) When beginning at altitude the speed is 110 km/h which is recklessly fast for the glider.
If you wait for 30 seconds before flying the task, it flutters and the wings get torn off.
I would suggest this starting speed be dropped to around 60 km/h.
The tow plane also flies too fast for the glider.

2) I flew a distance task yesterday. Waited for the start and flew around the pole to make sure I entered and exited the start gate properly.
As there are no electronics, there is no indication of progress through the course and you can't see whether or not the turn points have been correctly completed. After flying for a couple of hours, finishing and landing safely, all my progress was nil, and it reported I was 'warming up' !?!

Would you please make this glider behave in the same safe starting format as the others.

Other than these two problems I am really pleased with the glider, which has wonderful visual details in it's construction.

Is there any chance you could make a Condor (bird) which would allow us to fly around and just enjoy the landscape, for a stress free Friday night experience? This would also allow landscape builders the ability to quickly survey new landscapes without worrying about the actual flying.

Cheers
Jeffrey
Last edited by JeffSmith on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

JeffSmith

Re: Two SG-38 problems

Post by JeffSmith » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:23 am

Front and back views of the SG-38
SG-38-2.jpg
SG-38-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:40 am

JeffSmith

Post by JeffSmith » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:46 pm

So the answer is :-

Race’s clock must be started (you’ve heard the 3 bips)
You have to be in the start sector (study the flight plan before entering the game!)
Press J to see the start TP
Look at 90° on your left, turn your glider to have both the TP basement and your left wing on the screen
Press S key

Why make it so difficult?
What's wrong with using the normal ESC key again or the one we use to begin normally?

I seem to remember posts where people struggle to get this to work!

wickid

Post by wickid » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:54 pm

Because the plane does not have GPS. It is the same as deselecting PDA in the notam menu for the other planes. It is the old style navigation where you had to take "turnpoint photos" to prove you had flown the task.
PH-1504, KOE

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:56 pm

JeffSmith wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:46 pm
Why make it so difficult?
Because Condor is reproducing the way it goes In Real Life :
that is the way we used to validate tasks before the advent of the PDA/GPS
What's wrong with using the normal ESC key again or the one we use to begin normally?
The ESC key starts the flight, not the task.
If the PDA is used, you start the task by exiting the start sector, which can be validated by checking the track recorded by the PDA (same as IRL)
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Fabry

Post by Fabry » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:21 pm

That's awesome I didn't know about the old school "photo turn" feature.
Fabry
FDS
ASW-19 N80SF

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Even more awesome, before the advent of cheap 35mm photo-cameras and fast films: for closed circuit tasks, official observers were placed at the turnpoints in order to check that sailplanes flew around the turnpoints (the name "observation zone" is still used in the FAI sporting code).
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

Hennconn

Post by Hennconn » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:19 am

I have also heard about large Letters beeing layed out and competitors taking note of the, with the letters beeing switched around in set time intervals.

JeffSmith

Post by JeffSmith » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:30 pm

I had some difficulty trying to tilt the SG-38 so that the wings pointed to the mast base because it flies sooo slowly;
crashing the glider a few times taking many screenshots whilst trying to get started - which is very frustrating.

I really don't think it will compromise the starting method, by remaining in the start area, and just hitting the S key after the beeps sound.

We are after all flying on a computer and not in a real glider.
For example why do we have a Pause button when you can't do that in real life???

mbamberg

Post by mbamberg » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:06 am

Another purpose of the sim is training. In a training environment the pause is invaluable.

JeffSmith

Post by JeffSmith » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:48 am

Starting a race by just pressing the S key, may be kinda useful too?

It's not like being able to view your glider from a distance, starting a race at altitude, or pausing the simulation; which is impossible to do from the pilot seat in reality.

ikeco

Post by ikeco » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:40 pm

This is actually by far my favorite glider.

I didn't know about the "Turnpoint photo" thing, and had just given up on racing it, or trying to do the tasks.

I also understand the lack of instrumentation, and enjoy the challenge, but for goodness sake how about a compass....certainly available and appropriate for the time period. One of my favorite things to do, is to just take off cross country, and a compass would be invaluable, especially since the "Turnpoint Helper" is only good for a few miles....

I agree that it gets towed too fast by the towplane, I need to run the trim all the way to -100% so I can follow the plane decently, but I don't know how accurate this behavior really is, and it will tow OK that way.

My other issue (besides the compass), is that I need to trim to -50ish% just to get it to hold at best glide in calm air. trimming to Min Sink does not seem to work for me, as the glider begins to porpoise badly. In decent ridge lift I find I run with the trim between -75 and -100 percent. I've tried moving the CG around some, but with limited success. Any Suggestions?

Ike

JeffSmith

Post by JeffSmith » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:26 am

I agree with your findings and a compass would be a very good idea
because as soon as you leave the lift things can go wrong very quickly.
One has to follow the photo-left-wing procedure for the TP's as well
for the task distance progress to register which is quite a hassle.

I posted a task for the SG-38 glider on the Draak landscape you may like to try.
http://www.condor-club.eu/showtask/0/?id=14429

The SG-38 flies very well when ridge soaring, but flying cross country may be asking too much.
I've also found that it is best to keep the speed around 60km/h.
What appeals to me is the way it responds to every wind shift and slope change.

Post by 6266 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:32 am

Found this post by random. Is it still actual?

You can change the gau file and add a compass by yourself. I can share the file if you wish
sg38compass.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Visit https://www.baleit.no

Vintage Series 24, The Journey
25 landscapes with free available textures, newest: Maine

Discord https://discord.gg/bAXJaRT6ZC