Situation / Flight saving...

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

jcomm

Situation / Flight saving...

Post by jcomm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:58 am

Any news regarding the possibility of implementing a "situation save" option, for whenever we're doing our best but have to leave due to RL stuff, losing all of the progress painfully achieved ?
José Oliveira
Hey you Chicks flying bricks....
Come Fly Gliders ! Be Outsiders!

janjansen

Re: Situation / Flight saving...

Post by janjansen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:48 am

The list of feature requests is endless, and condor devs rarely comment if or when any of them will be implemented.

Im not entirely sure what you mean by "situation save" but if you want to create a specific situation for training purposes, you can do that by making a custom flight school lesson.

If you mean saving a flight and resuming it later, then I wouldnt hold my breath, I dont think this will be a high priority, as saving a state would probably be non trivial and would open up a can of worms like possible cheating with offline tasks (making "save points") and it should be rarely needed; in most cases you can simply pause the game to solve the issue.

jcomm

Post by jcomm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:00 am

Or... put the OS in Sleep mode, which is what I ended up doing twice...

But a save & restart option would be great to have...
José Oliveira

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:39 am

great to have would be wider airfields that support parallel tow and winch lines, ability to join servers during start window, being able to steer the towplane, openvr support, better landscape development tools, more dynamic weather with moving fronts and rain showers, simulated wave rotor, a condor demo version, fixing force feedback and chat bugs, ambient occlusion, AAT support, various PDA improvements, <insert your favorite glider here> .... thats probably less than 1% of outstanding feature requests on the top of my head.

Its not like Condor has a staff of 20 full time developers, most of the coding is done by one part time developer, so moderate your expectations :)

jcomm

Post by jcomm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:15 pm

I know,

and I praise their dedication and tallent, but I admit I'm spoiled by Aerowinx PSX, where a one man-show brings to live unthinkable stuff at a pace that is not ... from this World :-)

OTOH, most of the features you mention would probably be a lot more complex to implement ( ? )

When I refer to "situation saving" I am thinking about single player mode only, of course, and the recorded data could ( should ) be encrypted if sensible ( competition ). Or there could simply be a flag used to state if the flight was interrupted, and then allow the receiver to decide if it is valid or not...

It looks to me that saving the flight / environment parameters wouldn't be that complex.
José Oliveira

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:51 pm

jcomm wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:15 pm
I know,

and I praise their dedication and tallent, but I admit I'm spoiled by Aerowinx PSX, where a one man-show brings to live unthinkable stuff at a pace that is not ... from this World :-)

You mean that 347€ simulator?

:shock:
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

jcomm

Post by jcomm » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:56 pm

Yep, that one :-)

And yet I use Condor a lot more than I do PSX...

But in PSX we can terminate our flight at any moment, and as we open the program we get from exactly where we left it... This is great because a 10+ hour simulated flight on a 744 is not something for most armchair simmers to play... There are acceleration and "jump-to" options, but in Condor that doesn't make sense, yet, a situ save would make a lot of sense, IMO, because some flights really have to be interrupted at those "critical" moments we reached, and ruin all our efforts :-)
José Oliveira

jsfs

Post by jsfs » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:18 pm

janjansen wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:39 am
... openvr support...
Which is of course the most important one. :) Flight saving would be nice, too, though.
janjansen wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:39 am
Its not like Condor has a staff of 20 full time developers, most of the coding is done by one part time developer, so moderate your expectations :)
Not true. The expectations are higher when there is only one developer. After 2-3 developers, it's all negative gains. Developers live on challenge, so don't be the guy providing excuses.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:57 am

It’s not about motivation. We certainly have that. It’s about the best use of the time available.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:41 am

jcomm wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:15 pm
An instrument only flight sim that has been in development for 25 years and has just one instrument panel for one plane. You may want a save feature for condor, which I suspect very few condor pilots will care about, and Im left wondering wonder how many PSX pilots have been waiting decades for a 3D cockpit, or a different plane, or VR support or whatever.

Dont get me wrong, Im sure PSX is brilliant at doing what it was designed for, I dont mean to diss it, but its hardly a reasonable comparison. Or if it is, then the clue is that PSX is focused on one particular thing (simulating 747 instruments and systems in 2D) whereas condor is mostly focused on online simulation of gliding competitions.