2.0.6 patch: TrackIR 6 DoF profiles

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

janjansen

2.0.6 patch: TrackIR 6 DoF profiles

Post by janjansen » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 pm

2.0.6 Introduces 6 Degrees of Freedom using a trackir or opentrack headtracker. I assume some of you will struggle to configure trackir to make good use of this, without the camera constantly ending up outside the plane or inside your pilots body, so I attached 2 profiles.

The first one called Condor 6DoF.zip is mine, it enables all 6 axis, but restricts left/right movements to stay within the cockpit with a very noticeable center point, up/down is highly restricted especially down (only usable if you also move forward and want to check your shoe laces), and forward/backward only works to move your head forward, towards the instrument panel.

The second Condor_5DoF is made is by Bre901, it has similar restrictions but uses some different curves and gives you only 5 axis (up/down is disabled completely).

Feel free to try either and see what works best for you. Both profiles are meant to be used with Speed set to 1 , I also use 50 smooth in motion control (and no view smoothing in condor) and whatever you do, make sure TrueView is enabled or weird things will happen when looking over your shoulder!

To use these profiles, unzip them to %AppData%\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles
(or C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles)

Restart trackir and select Condor 6DoF or Condor 5DoF as profile. Either select "exclusive" to make sure the newly selected profile is always used, or if you use different sims you can also select the desired profile in the "titles" tab for condor soaring simulator.

You may need to reconfigure your trackir key bindings and feel free to adjust these profiles in any other way you see fit.

This is what it looks like in use (dont mind my flying)

Note: if you want to disable 6DoF and have it work again as it used to with your existing profile, simply unselect X, Y, Z and if you really want to, Roll, in Trackir:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by janjansen on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rotareneg

Re: 2.0.6 patch: TrackIR 6 DoF profiles

Post by Rotareneg » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:57 am

janjansen wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 pm
Note: if you want to disable 6DoF and have it work again as it used to with your existing profile, simply unselect X, Y, Z and if you really want to, Roll, in Trackir:
It doesn't work quite the same unfortunately. With 2.0.5 and TrackIR the camera would automatically "lean" left or right when looking to the rear, just as when using mouselook, but in 2.0.6 if you disable x, y, and z the camera will remain in the center, meaning you just get a face full of seat cushion. That might be a problem with people using a 3DOF device like an EDTracker, perhaps an option to use the old 3DOF system might be useful.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:52 am

Good point. However, you should be able to configure that in opentrack with some clever mapping where you assign some lateral x movement for certain yaw rotation.

Ikarus

Post by Ikarus » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 am

Thx Jan,
like mostly ;-) ,very competent and usefull input.
greetings
Ikarus

AlexH

Post by AlexH » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:08 am

Indeed, Thanks Jan.
I like the TrackIR profiles, thanks for sharing.

Always prompt replies and extremely helpful!
Much appreciated!

CristianoConrado

Post by CristianoConrado » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:35 pm

Looks like the 2.0.6 patch messed with Track IR response curve / sensibility.

It is twitchy and there is a forced center deadzone i did not whant even if i have a flat profile in track ir.

The pan smothness is lost, can i have the old profile back?

Cristiano

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:04 pm

Condor follows the tracking from trackir app exactly, so whatever issue you are having, it has to do with your trackir profile/configuration, not with condor. Maybe you assigned a different trackir profile to condor app than the one you are editing?

CristianoConrado

Post by CristianoConrado » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:15 pm

Nope,

Same Track IR profile for years.
Did not touch it.

Sundelly Track IR is over responsive and twitchy just after patch.
Thats is it.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:17 pm

AFAICS, there is nothing in condor that adds dead zones or modifies input curves, the response for roll and pitch you see in condor and in trackir apps 3d preview head thing should be 100% identical so if there is a dead zone in condor it should be visible in the trackir app too:

The only thing that will be different is the absolute positioning/scaling of XYZ axis, ie the scale of the cockpit (or how many cm your virtual head moves left/right, up/down and forward/backwards), but not the pitch or yaw axis, as 90 degree is 90 degree.

Are you sure the twitchy-ness its not a result of enabling the XYZ and roll axis? By default these axis are enabled in trackir, and until this patch, condor ignored them.

eRock

Post by eRock » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:45 am

Thank you, very nice handy.
I based on your profile and changed yaw to be more linear for smoother panning, then zero out one side of Z and Y as we strapped on seat cannot move further back nor down. Just my preference. Thanks again!

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:10 am

eRock wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:45 am
Thank you, very nice handy.
I based on your profile and changed yaw to be more linear for smoother panning, then zero out one side of Z and Y as we strapped on seat cannot move further back nor down. Just my preference. Thanks again!
You can move down a bit if you also move forward. And this is true both for the trackir and reality (assuming you loosen your straps a bit). I added some deadzone so this doesnt happen too easily with the trackir unless you also actually bend forwards. It doesnt really make much difference of course, but I like checking out the pedals :)

On a different note, am I the only one seeing a corkscrew effect? If I yaw my head to the right, it results in Y decreasing (head moving down) and vice versa. There is also some coupling with tilt, as I yaw to the right, the tilt goes down a little. This is true just in trackir itself, so its not a condor problem. i tried re positioning the sensor, but it doesnt help. It may be the placement of my leds too close to my head(phone)?

Stuart Eggerton

Post by Stuart Eggerton » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:33 pm

The new Track I.R. is great for looking vertically down when flying the SG-38 :-)

Rotareneg

Post by Rotareneg » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:08 pm

The "TrueView" function in TrackIR helps make head movement feel much more intuitive, but can also cause some unpleasant effects when using 6DOF:

When I look to the left and then lean to the right, the TrueView function correctly rotates the virtual x to match what you're seeing and everything seems fine. However, when I look back to the center while still leaning to my actual right, when the camera returns to more or less forward the TrackIR software will at some point suddenly return the X axis to it's normal orientation causing the camera to jerk over to the opposite side. This is entirely caused by how the TrackIR software handles XYZ translations with TrueView on, it's nothing to do with Condor2 itself.

Attached is the profile I'm using, which as saved has no roll axis and only x axis movement enabled (but has curves set for roll, Y, and Z if you want to enable them too.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DanD

Post by DanD » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:47 pm

I'm running TrackIR 4 with a TrackClipPro. I don't seem to be able to load the 5DOF or 6DOF profiles - they are in the NaturalPoint/profiles folder . Is it finger problems for me or is it my hardware?
Edit - running the most current TrackIR 5 software version.

Spirals

Post by Spirals » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi Jan and Marc

Many thanks for the profiles which may prove to be a life saver for me using TrackIR5 with Track Clip Pro and as you predicted not enough nouse to sort it out myself. Still going to take some getting used to but likely to be much more immersive and although I haven't tried it yet perhaps that cockpit frame bar in the Blanik will no longer be such an issue :-). Interesting being able to look at the back of the instrument panel (some people are so easily pleased).

My colleague though is still beside himself (literally) having out of body and out of glider experiences even with 5 and 6 dofF selected. Neither seems to restrict his movement to be within the canopy. The only difference I can see from talking over the phone with him is that he uses the Track Clip (not the Pro). Could that be the reason for his issue or is that just a red herring?

I emailed him the unzipped files that I had in my profiles folder which presumably would be no different to him unzipping the original folders himself.

If neither of the above could be the issue do you have any idea why it might not work for him when it does for me? Also if not sortable in the short term for him might there be away of reverting back to the original settings but still being compatable with 2.0.6?

Steve