CoTASA (V3.0) VNE alarm, horizon, etc

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

Bre901

Re: CoTASA V2.0 : VNE alarm, horizon, etc.

Post by Bre901 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:55 am

Thanks

did it create a GLIDER-Flaps_NNNNN.txt in the installation folder ? (see above)
CN: MPT — CondorUTill webpage: https://condorutill.fr/

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:08 am

Progress!

As mentioned a short time ago, flap prompts 4-1 in a dive very very quick.

Slowing down, they are much slower, even though I was being "gentile" on the climb. Probably the flap reduction warning took maybe 15-20 after I would have expected to be well below the flap change speed.

Happy to test any configuration you like....

Cheers
John in Sunny Carnarvon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:17 am

Arrgggg - I was looking under that express name....

This is what you were looking for I think....

Cheers
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bre901

CoTASA V2.1.1

Post by Bre901 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:45 am

A few users have experienced significant flap indicator delays.

If you have that problem, you can download version 2.1.1 from there :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uz6G3A ... sp=sharing
Just replace the executable.

NOTE: No need to download it if you don't have the issue

I will not provide a full distribution as I am currently working on a new version.

The application will check for the availability of new versions of the data file (for new gliders) and the code.

For the time being, the check is done automatically, do you think it is worth adding an extra option to disable that check ?

Any suggestions for new functionalities (besides the Netto integrator that will also be included) ?
Last edited by Bre901 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:19 am

Could the AH be updated to be more "real life". Remove the "horizon" white triangle in CoTASA which isn't present in "real life" and add a YELLOW Triangle as is used in the Condor AH - which indicates the aircraft attitude in "real life"?

I am worried that I will get confused next time I real fly IFR. 😇😁😇

Cheers
John in Sunny Carnarvon - Western Australia
AH.png

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:59 am

JBlyth wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:19 am
Could the AH be updated to be more "real life". Remove the "horizon" white triangle in CoTASA which isn't present in "real life" and add a YELLOW Triangle as is used in the Condor AH - which indicates the aircraft attitude in "real life"?

I am worried that I will get confused next time I real fly IFR. 😇😁😇

Cheers
AH.png
It's a bit more complicated than just moving triangles: the CoTASA AH is a simplified one, the bank angle scale is fixed (yellow) and the white triangle moves with the horizon, whereas in RL (and Condor) AHs, the bank scale is rotating (white) and the yellow triangle is fixed.
I'll take a look at it.

Bre901

Future version

Post by Bre901 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:26 pm

As I got only one answer I'm re-posting this as the new version is getting closer
The application will check for the availability of new versions of the data file (for new gliders) and the code.

For the time being, the check is done automatically, do you think it is worth adding an extra option to disable that check ?

Any suggestions for new functionalities (besides the Netto integrator that will also be included) ?

Rotareneg

Post by Rotareneg » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:36 pm

An accelerometer and angle-of-attack readout might be handy.

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:24 pm

An accelerometer would be quite straightforward to code (numerical display) as the data is available in the UDP stream

Unfortunately, no data available for the angle of attack.

Anyone else interested in the accelerometer ?

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Post by EDB » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:23 pm

+1

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:42 am

I just had a thought.... I find the yaw string in Condor 2 is not a very good indicator of yaw. Perhaps it is too short for my taste. Similarly the turn and slip indicator ball (where available) doesn't seem to be very sensitive.

If the yaw string angle data is available, I think a better yaw indicator would be invaluable.

Cheers

Bre901

Post by Bre901 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:44 pm

JBlyth wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:42 am
I just had a thought.... I find the yaw string in Condor 2 is not a very good indicator of yaw. Perhaps it is too short for my taste. Similarly the turn and slip indicator ball (where available) doesn't seem to be very sensitive.

If the yaw string angle data is available, I think a better yaw indicator would be invaluable.

Cheers
The yawstring angle is available in the UDP stream, I can do something like that (shown at max value - in a spin):
AH_Slip1.jpg
Not sure it's better than the Condor yawstring though ...
Is orange OK or would you like to be able to set the colour ?

JBlyth

Post by JBlyth » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:54 pm

My my. What a beautifully long yaw string you have in that image..... :D :D :D

The arrowed new yaw indicator on the AH looks GREAT! And do I see a yellow triangle on the aircraft attitude indicator as well. Such magic....

Choice of colour would be nice, but not essential. I'm flying Condor now with a set of moderately priced rudders, and I find the yaw string barely moves in the JS1 and Ventus 3 - and I don't think I am THAT good a pilot!!!!!

Cheers

EDB
Location: The Netherlands, Europe Continent, Earth Planet, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Super Cluster

Re: Future version

Post by EDB » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:58 pm

Bre901 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:26 pm
As I got only one answer I'm re-posting this as the new version is getting closer

Does this mean the program needs a firewall out rule..? I guess so... Then I like the option to turn this off. When there is a new plane I check for an update myself. No need for constant outgoing traffic with every start... It's also a safety risk.

Bre901

Re: Future version

Post by Bre901 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:28 pm

EDB wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:58 pm
Does this mean the program needs a firewall out rule..? I guess so... Then I like the option to turn this off. When there is a new plane I check for an update myself. No need for constant outgoing traffic with every start... It's also a safety risk.
No need for a new firewall rule. The program uses curl to download (https) a plain text file with version numbers (Hangar Update and program). The url text is probably bigger than the file itself :wink:

Code: Select all

Version=XXXX
HangarUpdate=YY
The user is prompted for the update(s) if a newer version is available on the website.
For glider data, the file is downloaded using curl
For the program, the webpage is opened with the default browser using windows start

However, it's not a big issue to make that optional