Condor and iGlide

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

pridanc

Condor and iGlide

Post by pridanc » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:14 pm

As a newbie on the hunt for education, I've turned one of my old iPads into my navigation device while using CONDOR as of last night with the iGlide software on the iPad. Again all of this is new so bear with me. My issue is that the iGlide software says it is connected, and indeed the software does change its display slightly when I start CONDOR, but the screen is blanc other than the little plane and a few extra lines on the screen (no lines present before starting CONDOR.)

I feel that all the obvious boxes are properly checked but I have to be missing something? I'm grateful for any thoughts or suggestions. Again, this is all new to me so might even be that I've not chosen the correct things in iGlide itself.

All the best, Price

janjansen

Re: Condor and iGlide

Post by janjansen » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:44 pm

I dont know iglide at all. But you may have to load maps for the area where you are flying in condor? So if you are flying in the default Slovenia scenery, you would have to load/configure slovenia map and terrain data in iglide?

Alternatively, most people here use xcsoar as external flight computer. Its free, but its not available for iOS devices. But for the price of the full version of iglide, you can pretty much buy an android tablet to run it on. Or you could run xcsoar on a laptop (including macbook) or a phone thats not an iphone. Or on the same PC if you have a spare monitor

pridanc

Post by pridanc » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:54 pm

Jan,
Many thanks for the suggestion. The iPad is / was not being used so no $$ outlay for that and so far my iGlide purchase has been minimal all of which point to the fact that if I stay stumped (likely) I can also grab one of my no-longer-used Android pads along with software you suggest and try again.

Im stubborn enough now to say it is the challenge of getting this iPad and iGlide to work with Condor at this point. Clearly others have had success but I do have my limits and only so much patience. I'll only fish for so long before I cut bait.

Again, thanks for the input including any more thoughts.
Price

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:03 pm

There is an old topic on this, long dead, but may have some useful info.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12868&start=15&hilit=iGlide
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

losnively

Post by losnively » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:17 am

I agree with JanJansen, it sounds like you haven't loaded the local area map, or the .cup files that show turn points and some airports.

The maps are loaded from inside iGlide by going to "Menu", "Settings", then "Map Data", selecting the correct country, and then the section of the country that you're flying in. It might be more than one tile. Depending on your internet connection speed, and the version of iPad that you have, that process can take awhile.

To get the correct .cup file use iTunes with your iPad connected to your computer. (I think there are other ways using DropBox or iCloud, but I haven't tried those since this works for me.) Select the iPad/iPhone icon - not the item in the list on the left - and then either the "Apps" tab, or now the "File sharing" tab, depending on which version of MacOS you're using. In the list you should see iGlide, and select it. It will show you some accessible file in iGlide. Now, open the Condor landscape folder on your computer that has the landscape you'll be flying in, and drag the relevant ".cup" file into the file area for iGlide in iTunes. Once that's done, start, or restart iGlide and it will import that file and store it in the "Menu"/"Settings"/"User waypoints" tab, as well as set iGlide to read that file.

With those two things done, check the map display again and see if you see the map data, as well as waypoints. One other thing to check, if iGlide is correctly connected to your computer with Condor in flight mode, the glider icon will be seen in "pink", whereas if it is not connected, the icon will be black. (Yes, you have to have entered the flying sim portion, not just have started Condor.)

One other small point, most .cup files do not include all airports that are shown in the Condor sceneries. Airports are stored in a separate location in Condor and are not always in the .cup file. So, more often than not, they won't show up in iGlide. You can edit the .cup file to add the airports into the .cup file, then reimport that file, but I've found it to be more tedious than it's worth. Sometimes the iGlide map data files and the Condor airports file overlap, and will show up as expected, but not all of the time.

Hope that helps,

pridanc

Post by pridanc » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:40 am

Losnively,
Epic stuff and I thank you. For some goofy reason I thought that this was a long possibility but then you come with so much info I'm thinking there is more than a small chance you've nailed it.

OK so I'm off to move some files around and see what happens. Fingers crossed and again I can't thank each of you enough. I will report back if I find success.
Price

pridanc

Post by pridanc » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:20 am

Losnively,
Indeed the iGlide airplane is pink and after copying the .cup file to iGlide many things changed on it's screen as I entered flight as you said it would but there is still no moving map (so to speak) but a blank white background with some points on it, the pink plane some arrows and that is it. I spend some time choosing other files from the Slovenia location in Condor but alas I think I'm going to bail as I I'm spending too much time trying to get this to work.

It has been suggested to give XCSoar a shot and as I have a tablet that can run XCSoar not to mention that there seems to be a very large knowledge base out there for its use for the likes of me, it is I feel, the direction I should go.

Many many thanks for your suggestions and guidance. It was greatly appreciated.
All the best, Price

Al_B

Post by Al_B » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:11 pm

pridanc wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:20 am
Losnively,
Indeed the iGlide airplane is pink and after copying the .cup file to iGlide many things changed on it's screen as I entered flight as you said it would but there is still no moving map (so to speak) but a blank white background with some points on it,
Hi pridanc,

I have iglide and condor working on my windows 10 pc. It sounds like you do need to download (into iglide) the map for the area you want to fly. For example I wanted the map for Slovenia with Lesce-Bled. Here is how I got the map:

In iglide go menu>settings>map data>scroll down and click on Slovenia, there are two maps to choose from, Lesce-Bled is in the western map, click on this map and allow it to install. Then when you connect you will have the fantastic terrain map and display of iglide!

Hope this helps.
Gravity never loses. The best you can hope for is a draw.

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:39 pm

Sorry to necro this thread... but has anyone got iGlide working with Condor 2?

iGlide is my RL choice of moving map; and so I thought ahead of the new season I'd have a little muck about and get all my navboxes and screens configured since I can pause Condor and change setups rather than try to do that during a real flight.

I have the virtual serial port running, and iGlide is showing as connected to it. Condor 2 runs and sees, and allows NMEA out to the port I've set up as a virtual one. All should work. It does not.

If I tap on 'connected' in the iGlide app, it tells me it's receiving NO GPS and NO FLARM. I'd not expect any Flarm data but I would have thought I'd be getting GPS, and that not getting it is probably the issue.

What have I missed?

mbamberg

Post by mbamberg » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:05 am

Make sure you're actually "flying" in Condor. There is no NMEA output unless you're in flight. HOWEVER, if you have started a freeflight task, with airborne launch, as soon as you start the flight and the landscape has loaded, the NMEA stream will start while you're "suspended" in the air.

Mike

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:58 pm

I have; and I'm getting no output. iGlide is connected, Condor is connected to the COM port (I can't close it down without exiting the flight) and yet it's not showing and sending or receiving anything.

The serial port software showing a successful connection/handshake and maintains the connection - but no data is flowing.

I don't think there's data coming out of Condor.

losnively

Post by losnively » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:41 pm

I've had that happen a couple of times, and it's been because the IP address iGlide is set to connect to and the IP address of the machine running Condor are different. So far it's been because something changed on the Windows side, for reasons I don't understand. But, setting it back to the correct IP address (I manually force the IP address to the one I'm using in iGlide) has always fixed it. From the other behavior you report, it sounds like that's what's happening.

Oh, and, yes, iGlide and Condor 2 worked perfectly well together, so it's not an obvious Condor 2 issue.

andrew.stout

Post by andrew.stout » Fri May 08, 2020 8:27 pm

I'm struggling to get Condor2 working with iGlide too.

Please can you explain how you manually force the IP address to the one you're using in iGlide?

Also in my Settings >Interfaces and Sensors menu there is no option for me for Wifi - does anyone have any idea why?

Thanks in advance!

KipperUK

Post by KipperUK » Fri May 08, 2020 9:31 pm

This is the thread you need - worked a charm.

https://www.condorsoaring.com/forums/vi ... 29&t=19814

apayne

Post by apayne » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:43 am

Yes I have Iglide working with Condor 2 no problems. WIFI
It would be nice to convert the .fpl but have to live with out so manual is the way .