Out of memory on Cascade Range landscape

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

AlexH

Re: Out of memory on Cascade Range landscape

Post by AlexH » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi,

I had the same blue screen out of memory last night at Cascade Range. I joined a different server with different map. I got 16gb Ram as well.

prykpryk

Post by prykpryk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:59 pm

I just had this bug too. I never had it happen before 2.0.5 patch.

danbaranov

Post by danbaranov » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Just got the same error "Out of memory" after 30 mins flying CWC 2019. It's slightly ridiculous to download all these enormous sceneries, prepare, blah blah and being able to fly only 30 minutes in 2019 on a quite strong PC because game doesn't support all this fancy stuff made for it. Very disappointing.

zou

Post by zou » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:56 pm

Same problem :(

I'm talking about it here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17850

Would it be better not to use this landscape, for competitions like CWC 2019 if it still causes crash !?

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:02 pm

This is a known issue with a known solution and its unfortunate CWC team didnt at least communicate this clearly, as these blue screens where predictable, predicted and avoidable.

The reason is the enormous size of the scenery hitting the limits of the 32 bit architecture of condor, it doesnt matter if you use 64 bit windows and your hardware or ram doesnt make any difference.

The solution is simple: to fly Cascade Range online, you HAVE to reduce visibility range to at most high (rather than very high) and to be safe, reduce tree density as well, as that reduces memory usage to a safe level.

The visual impact is minimal. Details in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18636
Last edited by janjansen on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:17 pm

zou wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:56 pm
Same problem :(

I'm talking about it here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17850

Would it be better not to use this landscape, for competitions like CWC 2019 if it still causes crash !?
Zou, you have a different problem, this is not the out of memory error and you dont have it only on cascade range. Ill post some suggestions in your thread.

danbaranov

Post by danbaranov » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:46 pm

Yes, I understand it's because of 32 bits. I'm frustrating because in 2019 "fresh" game is 32 bits and has addons leading this game to crash. I'll try this settings, thanks!

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:04 am

danbaranov wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:46 pm
Yes, I understand it's because of 32 bits. I'm frustrating because in 2019 "fresh" game is 32 bits and has addons leading this game to crash.
There is a flip side to that argument; scenery creation tools are freely available, and as a result 100s of sceneries are available and the overwhelming majority free of charge. Even sceneries as crazy large and detailed as CR. Would you prefer that only a handful, official, fully tested and validated, commercial sceneries exist?

As for being 32 bit in 2019.. that also has a flipside. Condor runs amazingly well on older or modest hardware, which is important as tons of gliders are not gamers with modern highend gaming rigs. Yes there are still plenty of condor users running 32 bit windows 7 computers that they used for V1. I also think its fair to say the developers did not anticipate a need for 64 bit support or that anyone would create sceneries as gigantic as CR, but the issue has been brought to their attention and Im sure they are working on a solution, even if CR is the only scenery so far that runs in to these limitations, and only under some circumstances..

anyway, I do feel the contest organizers should take responsibility for the sceneries they select and at the very least inform people if there are known (and avoidable) issues.

zou

Post by zou » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:30 pm

Tonight during the competition day n ° 3 of the CWC 2019, unfortunately I still had a frozen screen, close to tp2.
However, I reduced visibility and density of trees always on minimum, I had no hardware problems. My graphics card does not heat up....
I fly every day on many scenery and I only have problems with Cascade range :(

So I'm going to further reduce the visibility distance or fly without textures :mrgreen: or forcibly not fly on the next task of this scenery...
It's too frustrating to make a good score and suffer this inconvenience.

This scenery is pretty but problematic for a competition like the CWC.

OXO
Condor Team

Post by OXO » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:15 pm

The next patch 2.0.6 has improvements in memory use, and is being tested by the beta team on Cascade Range. We expect to have no further problems after that.
Chris Wedgwood,
Condor Team

janjansen

Post by janjansen » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:21 pm

Zou has a different problem. He is not getting an out of memory error but Access violations, and the reduction of visibility range and tree density should have prevented the out of memory in first place. His machine also crashes in Slovenia:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17850

The patch is unlikely to help him. I would run a memory tester or maybe consider reinstalling windows.