Condor 2 on Linux / Wine issues

Moderators: Uros, Tom, OXO

CSeguinot

Re: Condor 2 on Linux / Wine issues

Post by CSeguinot » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi
I'm back after a lot of tests.

Without using Lutris, I never succeeded to run Condor on Wine, Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04, using update vulkan , latest graphics drivers, ppa or patched wine (build from source)

I then tried Lutris and want to thank TonyBalony for his clean procedure. It was my first time with Lutris, it's easy to install, run different wine build, install and test games ...
Condor2 ran on the first try using Lutris !

I'm now in the process of trying to correct small issues.
- Ole error 8004100E (at start, and sometimes at end of lesson and flight). This is a small issue and seems to have no real impact
- activation : asked every time Condor2 is launched, but it seems that it is not needed I can run Condor2 (providing activation key was been given on the earliest run)
- child window issue : this one was never reported by Linux/Wine users, but it is quite annoying.

The child window issue:
When Condor 2 is launched, 3 windows are opened (see screen1.png):
- a Condor2 icon
- a Condor2 main windows (let call it the "parent window")
- a "child window" (flight lesson, activation, setup, free flight... depending on the requested user action). I call it "child window "since it is related to the parent window. The child window must be closed, for the parent window to get focus and the user to select a new action.
It's worst noting that the child window it partly above and partly under its parent window!

My first issue is that the once you click outside the child window , it disappear under its parent window. As the parent window can't be moved, you are not able to reselect the child window. The only solution is to kill Condor2.exe task.

My second and related issue is for flight when trying a lesson. The border of the "child window" is always visible during flight. Surprisingly, I tried to make a screen copy, but this border is not present on it (look like the image is composed of layer, only some being copied!)

Does any one notice this issue and can give any advice or direction to solve it ?
Does anyone could give advice on which Lutris/wine version could solve this? (I used the latest Lutris/Wine 5.21 and tested some others without success)

PS
Regards
And many thank to these post which are valuable for the glider community and pilots.
screen1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CSeguinot

Post by CSeguinot » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:28 pm

Hi
I finally got it after 3 weeks trial. I just solved it using a Wine config !!
  • Under Lutris, open "wine configuration" (may be winecfg if not using Lutris)
  • Select "graphics" tab
  • Uncheck "Allow the window manager to control the windows"
I tested different wine version from 5.5 to Lutris 5.7 : all the one I tested where working.

Help this can help others.

Regards, Christophe

BOD1

Post by BOD1 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:09 pm

Hello, Christophe, cos, flix, KuCoOs, TonyBalony, pucki, jfsoar, bwduncan and others, could you please have a look viewtopic.php?f=29&t=20342 and tell me if you have a clue?
Thank you :)
Please use this button to send me a PM, Forum messaging is too limited.

eburrows

Post by eburrows » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:12 pm

I was able to use Condor2 on Kubuntu 18.04 with the version of Wine supplied with Ubuntu without major issues. I see one opaque error on startup, but I was able to register, activate planes, and fly.

eburrows

Post by eburrows » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:34 am

With wine on Ubuntu 18.04, Condor2 worked OK for me, but the graphics were messed up, with some objects in the background being rendered in the foreground, the instruments were not visible, etc. I could fly it, but not with full functionality.

I am now getting nearly perfect functionality using Steam's Proton instead of wine.

To run Condor through Steam/Proton, install using Wine, then open the Steam launcher, click "Add a game" in the lower left corner of the Steam launcher, and browse to Condor2.exe in your ~/.wine directory. Set the "Compatibility" to "Proton 7.0-4", and then launch it.

Jetto

Post by Jetto » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:48 am

Hello,

I have some issue with Condor 2 on Linux.

I'm on Ubuntu 20.04.5 my PC CPU is an old Core I7 Skylake 6700k 4GHz and the GPU is an AMD Radeon 590.

To install Condor 2 I use wine-4.0-rc2 (Staging) with a prefix to put it on a SSD, then I add the game in steam and select Proton 7.0-4 as Steam Play compatibility tool.

I don't like the mix up of wine because this create a second wine prefix that makes new files to be created in the Proton prefix. Well this point isn't a big deal. Maybe if use Proton to make the install and then move the prefix to the SSD and eventually make a simlink that would fix.

The big issue is I can't join a multiplayer game. Of cause the join link do not work, but as a walk around I use the command

Code: Select all

$ echo cndr2:BlaBla | tr ABCDFHJLMRSZ 03162897.5:4
This gives me Ip address and port I can enter manually. But when I try to join, the connecting window open and hold at 0% forever. The only to get out of this is to stop the game from Steam interface.

I know I have a little complication as I haven't a full ip connection; I only have a slice of port available. I tried to connect with a laptop on a genuine windows. Even if takes some time, I was able to at least get the task (I do not test further), so this not looks like to be the blocking point. I play also a lot of multiplayer games with steam compatibility tool without issue.

So I would appreciate all help on this point or success story.

Thank you.

------EDIT------

I fond the solution in the forum : Add DirectPlay library. But I don't how to do it on Stream, so I do a fresh install (I upgraded to wine-7.17) and successfully join some multiplayer races.

But now I can't have Vulkan support because the game crash when it try to open the flight planner window (but I can start flight school exercises), so I'm steel looking for advice.